Proving Electric Flux Using a Spherical Gaussian Surface | E&M Class Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a proof type problem from an E&M class involving a point charge, a disk, and a spherical gaussian surface. The goal is to prove that R= [(3)^.5]*b if 1/4 of the flux passes through the disk. The conversation discusses different methods and formulas, such as using a spherical dome and the formula S = 2[pi]*r*h, to solve for the radius of the disk in terms of its distance from Q. The conversation also mentions the use of double integrals and suggests finding a proper mathematical handbook for more formulae.
Will
This is a proof type problem from our E&M class. We are given a point charge Q, let say that it is at the origin. We then have a disk parallel to the xy plane, with center a distance b from the origin( on the z axis) & radius R. We are to prove that if 1/4 of the flux passes thru the disk, prove that R= [(3)^.5]*b.
I assume that I have to use a spherical gaussian surface with 1/4 of its area corresponding to the size of the disk. Thats where I am confused. Do I make the top of the sphere just touch the bottom of the disk and have radius b, or do I construct it over the top of the disk, like a dome? And how do I acount for the fact that the electric field lines won't be perpendicular to the surface of the disk because it is not round? Will this problem involve calculus, or is more of a geometry type problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Will,
I think it's a purely geometrical problem. If you construct a spherical dome over the top of the disc, then the dome's surface should equal 1/4 of the full sphere's.

Originally posted by arcnets
If you construct a spherical dome over the top of the disc, then the dome's surface should equal 1/4 of the full sphere's.

Thats what I concluded myself. So how do I solve for the radius of the disk in terms of its distance from Q? I was trying to reveiw double integrals in polar coordinates fo SA, does it need to be that complex? Am I missing something simple here?

Originally posted by Will
does it need to be that complex?
No. You could use the formula S = 2[pi]*r*h, where
S = surface area of dome,
r = radius of sphere,
h = height of dome.
Just find out how to express r and h in terms of R and b (which is easy), and there you are. OK?

Originally posted by arcnets
You could use the formula S = 2[pi]*r*h

So if one hase a sphere inside a cylindrical shell with equal radius and height 2r, then for any horizantal slice, parts of shell and sphere will have the same SA? Cant believe I did two years calc. and don't know that! Even looked thru a bunch of my old texts and did not see a formula like that written anywhere. Makes sense visually, and the problem became much simpler. thanks
But if I did do all that double integral-ly type stuff, I should get the same answer right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Will
So if one hase a sphere inside a cylindrical shell [...]
Yes. Geographers use this to construct world maps, see here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalEqual-AreaProjection.html

There's a lot more formulae like this about spheres. Saves you a lot of time if you own some proper mathematical handbooks.
But if I did do all that double integral-ly type stuff, I should get the same answer right?
I'm sure you will.

Well, I don't feel so bad about not knowing this. I went to my old teacher for DFQ's and even he was scratching his head saying he didnt think so! So where can I get a handbook with a extensive collection of geometry stuff than my textbook? I head Shaums outlines are good.

1. What is electric flux and how is it related to a Gaussian surface?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. A Gaussian surface is an imaginary surface that encloses a charge or a group of charges and is used to calculate the electric flux passing through it.

2. How is a spherical Gaussian surface different from other types of Gaussian surfaces?

A spherical Gaussian surface is centered around a point charge and has a symmetrical shape, making it easier to calculate the electric flux passing through it compared to other types of Gaussian surfaces.

3. Can you explain the process of proving electric flux using a spherical Gaussian surface?

To prove electric flux using a spherical Gaussian surface, we first need to calculate the electric field at every point on the surface using Gauss's law. Next, we need to calculate the total electric flux passing through the surface by multiplying the electric field by the surface area. If the calculated flux is equal to the total charge enclosed by the Gaussian surface, then we have successfully proven the electric flux using a spherical Gaussian surface.

4. How is this problem related to electromagnetic theory?

This problem is related to electromagnetic theory because it involves the application of Gauss's law, which is a fundamental law in electromagnetism. It also helps to understand the concept of electric flux, which is an important concept in electromagnetism.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of this problem?

An example of a real-life application of this problem is in the design and analysis of electric circuits. By calculating the electric flux through a spherical Gaussian surface, engineers can determine the amount of electric field passing through a certain area of a circuit and use this information to optimize the circuit's design for maximum efficiency.