Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fog

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a number of similar reports that I've seen about an alleged phenomenon that has been called an "electric fog". One episode is described by a pilot, and another by a tug boat captain, both in the so called Bermuda Triangle. I will dig those up later.

I don't mean to say that even if accurate, all reports necessarily describe the same phenomenon, but there is definitely a common thread to the reports in that a "cloud" or "fog" is said to have electric and/or magnetic effects on the environment in some fashion, while void of lightning.

Here is an interesting report from the British steamer, the Mohican, which is allegedly taken from the original news report, from 1904. The same report can be found elsewhere.

http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=30

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is one account that I mentioned. There is another account similar to the other one mentioned above, right above this one at the link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Mf...-IEf&sig=t1sfGNXT-rVNiY7pq-v4-kloAdY#PPA63,M1

The bit about the engine still running without electrical power would make sense if it was a diesel engine, which one would expect.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    The boiling sea in the latter report suggests the fog was gas coming up from the sea bottom and that some event down there was responsible for the magnetic effects.

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I should have said that along with a strange fog, electrical failures were reported.

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

The only thing i have any knowledge of that can make the sea boil is a release of
    frozen co2, clathrate, can co2 hold an electric/magnetic field.

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    My suspicion, in the case of the second report, was that a vulcanic/seismic event on the sea bottom was both releasing gas and causing a large magnetic disturbance. I doubt the "fog", itself, was responsible for the electromagnetic effects.

In the first report the fog, itself, seemed to be glowing. Of course that brings the phenomenon of St. Elmo's Fire to mind, but St. Elmo's Fire is associated with common electrical storms and I think the charge is assumed to come from the voltage difference between clouds and the ship since the "Fire" is most concentrated on pointy things; the ends of spars, etc, in a normal electrostatic fashion. A gas that glows like phosphorous enveloping the whole ship is probably not straightforward St. Elmo's Fire.

8. Sep 24, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

The report says some thing about the compass rotating, would that not rule out a static electrical charge?

9. Sep 24, 2007 #8
    As Maxwell observed, a changing electric field always gives rise to a magnetic field. So, while in the process of charging or discharging any "static" electric field is actually radiating electro-magnetic energy. A capacitor radiates a magnetic wave while charging or discharging, for example. The "glow" of St. Elmo's Fire represents a discharge of static electricity from the ship into the atmosphere, so, it wouldn't surprise me to find the ship's compass affected in cases where a ship seems to be experiencing an unusual amount of static electric buildup as when St. Elmo's Fire is present.

10. Oct 2, 2007 #9
    The Sun Kings: The Unexpected Tragedy of Richard Carrington and the Tale of How Modern Astronomy Began
    Stuart Clark

First chapter relates the 1859 Coronal Mass Ejection events when the telegraph was the limits of our invovment with electricity. December 5 2003 we missed being hit by a similar solar storm. Ships at sea relate accounts of St. Elmo's fire. http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0691126607/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-7832919-1007269#reader-link This lets you read a good bit about the 1859 event.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?