Electric Force Act on Proton

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between work done on a particle and its energy, rest energy, momentum, and beta, as well as the use of the work-energy theorem in calculating these values. The individual also mentions a previous section of their study guide and their success in finding these values.
petalsweet
1. A proton has a mass 1.7x10^-27 kg and its speed is v=.969c. When an electric force acts on the proton and does 5.8x10^-9 J of work on the particle, what are the following values? A) Particle energy B) Particle Rest Energy C) Particle Momentum D) Particle Beta

2. Particle energy=> E=(gamma)mc^2 ; Gamma=1/(sqrt(1-(beta^2)) ; Beta= v/c

3. This problem is part of my study guide for a test. There was a whole other section that I completed before the professor threw in the part about the work done on the particle in which I had to find the original beta, gamma, energy and kinetic energy of the particle. I was able to do that successfully, but I don't understand how work done on a particle by means of electric force effects it's energy, rest energy, momentum, and beta. Thanks for your help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi petalsweet! Welcome to PF! :smile:

From the work-energy theorem: work done = change in KE …

if the force is not conservative (eg, friction), work done = total energy lost

but if the force is conservative (eg, gravity), no energy is lost, and the work done equals the PE, so we normally call it PE instead of work done :wink:

anyway …
petalsweet said:
… I don't understand how work done on a particle by means of electric force effects it's energy, rest energy, momentum, and beta.
work done = change in KE (either Newtonian or Einsteinian) :smile:

What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

How does electric force act on a proton?

Electric force acts on a proton by attracting or repelling it depending on the charge of the other particles around it. Protons, which have a positive charge, will be attracted to negatively charged particles and repelled by positively charged particles.

What is the equation for electric force?

The equation for electric force is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How does distance affect electric force?

The electric force between two particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles.

What is the relationship between electric force and electric field?

Electric force and electric field are closely related. The electric field is a region in space where a charged particle will experience an electric force. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the electric force acting on the particle.