Electric Field Strength Calculation for a Point Charge

In summary, The conversation is about calculating the electric field strength at a point located 3.0 cm east from a point charge of 1.0 microcoulomb. The formula E = F/q and Coulomb's law are mentioned, but the individual is unsure how to use Coulomb's law with only one charge. The expert summarizes that the force and electric field due to a point charge Q can be calculated using the equations \vec F = qQ \frac {\vec r}{r^3} and \vec E = Q \frac {\vec r}{r^3}, and explains that \vec r is the displacement vector from charge Q to charge q. The individual also asks for clarification on the equations and the expert
Ezhil
Hi
I was just doing my homework and i am stuck on this question. Can you please help me with this?

a) Caluculate the electric field strength E, at a point located 3.0 cm due east from a point charge q=+1.0 microcoulomb.

I know i have to use the formulas:
E = F/q

And Coulomb's law. But to use Coulomb's law you need to two charges and this question only has one. Please help on this, Thankyou.

Ezhil

Physics news on Phys.org
If the force on q due to Q is
[tex]\vec F = qQ \frac {\vec r}{r^3}[/tex]
then the electric field due to Q is
[tex]\vec E = Q \frac {\vec r}{r^3}[/tex]

Am i right in saying:
E = (k*Qsource) / (r^2)

therefore
E=[(9*10^9)*(1.0*10^-6)] / (0.03)^2
E= 1.0*10^7

[tex]\vec E = Q \frac {\vec r}{r^3}[/tex]

What is the vector r equal to and is the Q the point charge 1.0 microcoulomb that is given in the problem?
I'm sorry i don't understand the equation completely, I am still in year 11.

[itex]\vec r[/itex] is the displacement vector from charge Q to charge q.

Thank you for your help!

What is electric force?

Electric force is a physical phenomenon that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is caused by the interaction of electric fields.

How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged particle or group of particles where an electric force would be exerted on another charged particle. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field.

How does an electric field affect charged particles?

An electric field exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a certain direction. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the field. Positive charges will be pushed in the direction of the field, while negative charges will be pushed in the opposite direction.

What is the difference between electric force and electric field?

Electric force is the actual attraction or repulsion between two charged particles, while an electric field is the region around these particles where the force is exerted. Electric force is a vector quantity, while electric field is a scalar quantity.