Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric force between two charges on z-axis

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    Question:
    Two charges -2q and +q are located on the z-axis at distance 'd' and '3d' respectively. The x-y plane is a grounded conductor. Find the force on the charge +q.
    My work:
    Let the force be F. Distance between the charges is '2d'.
    [tex]F = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{(-2q)(q)}{{(2d)}^2}\right)[/tex]
    Can I apply the Coulomb's equation here the way I have done? Will the grounded x-y plane have any effect on the force?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A better question is: does the charge below the grounded conductor have any effect on the force?

4. Oct 29, 2005 #3
    Umm...the charges mentioned here are above the grounded plane. The grounded plane has a zero potential. Are you talking about image charges?

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4
    Can someone help me proceed?

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know the grounded conductor will "draw up charge from infinity" so that it can maintain a constant potential over its surface. This charge will exert a force, right? How can you describe the field produced by a conducting sheet in the presence of point charges?

7. Nov 5, 2005 #6
    Took me a while to read up on the theory. I am convinced this is an image problem. Well, the electric field is normal to the surface of the conducting sheet, right?
    [tex]\vec E = \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat z[/tex]
    But what about the force?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook