1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force between two charges on z-axis

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    Question:
    Two charges -2q and +q are located on the z-axis at distance 'd' and '3d' respectively. The x-y plane is a grounded conductor. Find the force on the charge +q.
    My work:
    Let the force be F. Distance between the charges is '2d'.
    [tex]F = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{(-2q)(q)}{{(2d)}^2}\right)[/tex]
    Can I apply the Coulomb's equation here the way I have done? Will the grounded x-y plane have any effect on the force?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A better question is: does the charge below the grounded conductor have any effect on the force?

4. Oct 29, 2005 #3
    Umm...the charges mentioned here are above the grounded plane. The grounded plane has a zero potential. Are you talking about image charges?

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4
    Can someone help me proceed?

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know the grounded conductor will "draw up charge from infinity" so that it can maintain a constant potential over its surface. This charge will exert a force, right? How can you describe the field produced by a conducting sheet in the presence of point charges?

7. Nov 5, 2005 #6
    Took me a while to read up on the theory. I am convinced this is an image problem. Well, the electric field is normal to the surface of the conducting sheet, right?
    [tex]\vec E = \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat z[/tex]
    But what about the force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?