1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force multiple choice

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    PQRS is a square. Three point charges -Q, +Q and -3Q are fixed at P, Q and S respectively as shown.

A point charge q is then placed at R and it experiences a net electric force towards S. Which of the following is equal to q?

photo :
    http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Yan_Wa_Chung/media/01_zps421rebzc.png.html

2. Relevant equations
    F=kq1q2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    in any kind of calculation, Q and q are cancelled out and undetermined ,ie : (k1) (q) (Q) / (r1)^2 = (k2) (q) (Q) / (r2)^2, (turn force PR to vertical and horizontal component cancel the vertical component with force QR) . I have no idea on the question or maybe the question itself has mistakes ?The right answer is q=1/9 Q.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I think any value of q (+ve) will do since the distances are fixed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. Jul 6, 2016 #3
    But suppose vertical component of force PR is ##-cos(\pi/4)kQq/r_1^2## so since it is canceled by force QR we 'll have
    ##-cos(\pi/4)kQq/r_1^2+kQq/r_2^2=0##. Isnt the product Qq simplified by this last equation?

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes. I was about to edit..

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5
    Thanks a lot for answering this question. I think the question may have mistakes itself. I hope I can get some help with the last stupid question that I've posted too. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted