1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Force of two hemispheres

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Hello.

I'm having trouble with this problem.

Suppose there is a sphere of uniform charge (Q). What is the electric force of the top hemisphere due to the bottom hemisphere?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2
    use maxwell stress tensor approach this problem

4. Mar 4, 2005 #3
    I apologize, I have no idea what a tensor is at all.

All I know is that the electric force equals (QE), therefore the only solution I could think of is of the form F = (1/4 Pi PermitivityConstant)(???). I'm trying to picture a way to find the electric field of the system but I just don't see it.

5. Mar 5, 2005 #4
    Anyone...?

6. Mar 6, 2005 #5
    if you are good at maths, here is one option:
    use gauss laws to find equation E field at every point
    integrate the F=Eq over the entire sphere
    long integration, not really that hard if it is a hollow sphere. seems quite hard if it is solid, not sure

(i hope this method works)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  7. Mar 6, 2005 #6
    forget it... the integral will go crazy.....

8. Mar 6, 2005 #7
    for hollow sphere:

well, the e field is constant over the surface of the sphere. so all you have to do is to use a polar integration with two cosines in the function. to find the component in the away from centre direction. because by symmetry the force is outwards radially.

for solid sphere:

well, you are totally right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?