Calculating Electric Force on a Charge

In summary: This results in a total force of 2F12 directed to the right. In summary, based on the given information and calculations, the total force on Q2 is 2F12 directed to the right.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

Q1-----Q2-----Q3; Q1=1.78E-6C;Q2=Q3=-Q1, r1=r2=1.82m
Calculate the total force on Q2. Give your answer with a positive number for a force directed to the right.

Homework Equations

F= kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F2 = F12+F23
F12 = k(1.78E-6)(-1.78E-6)/(1.82^2)
F23 = k(-1.78E-6)(-1.78E-6)/(1.82^2)
The problem is these forces cancel and I know that they shouldn't, so I am sure is some thing I am just not seeing here.

Physics news on Phys.org
F12 is attractive, so it's in what direction?

F32 is repulsive, so it's in what direction?

F12 is negative so to the right and F32 is positive so it is to the right because Q2 is negative

kraigandrews said:
F12 is negative so to the right and F32 is positive so it is to the right because Q2 is negative
Therefore, they don't cancel !

Usually right is positive.

okay so then I am not sure where I am going wrong since I know that it shouldn't cancel the charges and the distances are the same for F12 and F32 so it should be 2*F12 = F2, I am not sure what I am doing wrong here this shouuld be a fairly simple problem.

The sign given by these two equations really only is useful in showing whether you have attraction (negative sign) or you have repulsion (positive sign).
F1,2 = k(1.78E-6)(-1.78E-6)/(1.822)

F2,3 = k(-1.78E-6)(-1.78E-6)/(1.822)​
You can't blindly add the results together.

Since each force is in the positive x direction, they are both positive and should be added together.

What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged objects.

How is electric force calculated?

The electric force between two charged particles is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces, such as gravity or friction.

What factors affect the strength of electric force?

The strength of electric force is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved and the distance between them. The larger the charges and the closer they are, the stronger the electric force will be.

How does electric force differ from gravitational force?

Electric force and gravitational force are both fundamental forces of nature, but they have some key differences. Electric force is caused by the interaction of charged particles, while gravitational force is caused by the mass of objects. Additionally, electric force can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.