Stumped by This Physics Problem? Find Out What's Wrong Here!

• Thread starter RM86Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, you are trying to solve a problem in which the two solutions you are considering are not the only possible solutions.
RM86Z
Homework Statement
Particles of charge Q and 3Q are placed on the x axis at 
x = -L and x = +L, respectively. A third particle of charge q is placed on the x axis, and it is found that the total electric force on this particle is zero. Where is the particle?
Relevant Equations
F = kq1q2/r^2; q1 and q2 are two charges, k is Coulomb's constant and r is the separation between the two charges.
I am stumped by this one! My attempt at solving this problem was to do a coordinate transform to put Q at the origin and 3Q at 2L on the x-axis. The distance then between q and Q is x and the distance between q and 3Q is (2L - x).

The electrical force between q and Q is F1 = kqQ/x^2.
The electrical force between q and 3Q is F2 = kq3Q/(2L - x)^2.

The net force on q is zero which implies that F1 = -F2.

F1 = -F2
kqQ/x^2 = -kq3Q/(2L-x)^2
(2L - x)^2 = -3x^2
4L^2 - 4Lx +4x^2 = 0
L^2 - Lx + x^2 = 0

This has no real solutions.

What am I doing wrong here?!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
RM86Z said:
F1 = -F2
kqQ/x^2 = -kq3Q/(2L-x)^2
(2L - x)^2 = -3x^2
4L^2 - 4Lx +4x^2 = 0
L^2 - Lx + x^2 = 0

That relation is only true in vector form, ##\vec{F_{1}} = -\vec{F_{2}}##, or a signed component form ##{F_{x}}_{1} = -{F_{x}}_{2}##, not magnitudes. You want the net ##x## component of force to be zero, and this is the sum of the individual signed ##x## components of the forces. Alternatively, drawing a diagram should help you to see how the magnitudes must be related.

To avoid sign errors, it's sometimes good practice to resolve the forces to find the net force, and then set this to ##0## or ##ma##.

Last edited by a moderator:
RM86Z said:
kqQ/x^2 = -kq3Q/(2L-x)^2
This is what you are doing wrong. You are setting a positive quantity on the left side equal to a negative quantity on the right side.

Likes jbriggs444
RM86Z said:
The electrical force between q and Q is F1 = kqQ/x^2.
The electrical force between q and 3Q is F2 = kq3Q/(2L - x)^2.

The net force on q is zero which implies that F1 = -F2.
It seems you have a sign convention problem here. You expect the position to be somewhere between 0 and 2L, correct?

Per your formulae, that means that both forces are positive. Yet you are setting one to be the inverse of the other. Did you forget that the forces are exerted in opposite directions?

Thank you very much guys that was indeed a mistake that I should have picked up! I've solved the following given:

$$ F_{q_1q_2} = \frac {kq_1q_2} {r^2} $$

$$ F_1 - F_2 = 0 $$
$$ F_1 = F_2 $$
$$ \frac {kqQ}{x^2} = \frac {kq3Q}{(2L - x)^2} $$
$$ (2L - x)^2 = 3x^2 $$
$$ 2x^2 + 4Lx - 4L^2 = 0 $$
$$ x^2 + 2Lx - 2L^2 = 0 $$

Solutions are:

$$ x = ( \sqrt {3} - 1) L $$
$$ x = -(1 + \sqrt {3}) L $$

Answer in the book is:

$$ x = -0.27 L $$

Even transforming the problem back to the original locations on the x-axis doesn't give the correct answer?

RM86Z said:
Solutions are:

$$ x = ( \sqrt {3} - 1) L $$
$$ x = -(1 + \sqrt {3}) L $$

Answer in the book is:

$$ x = -0.27 L $$

Even transforming the problem back to the original locations on the x-axis doesn't give the correct answer?

You can eliminate one of the solutions right off the bat since you know ##x## in your transformed system has to be positive.

Then how do you transform back into the original coordinates?

:headbang:

I am a fool! Thanks guys, really struggled with this one.

When you solve quadratics in physics usually only one solution makes sense in view of the situation described. However, the "other solution" could also make sense under a modified description of the physical situation that is nevertheless formulated by the same quadratic. Can you think of a situation in which you have charges of magnitudes Q and 3Q separated by 2L such that the force on a third charge would be zero not between the charges but at a point greater than 2L from one of the charges?

Likes SammyS, berkeman, jbriggs444 and 1 other person

1. What is the problem about?

The problem is about a physics question that is causing confusion or difficulty for the person asking the question.

2. How can I solve the problem?

There are multiple ways to approach a physics problem, but some general tips include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using equations and formulas, and checking your units and calculations.

3. What if I can't figure out the answer?

If you are struggling to find the solution, try asking for help from a teacher, classmate, or online community. It can also be helpful to review similar problems or practice more problems in the same topic.

4. Is there a specific method to solving physics problems?

Yes, there are various problem-solving techniques used in physics such as the scientific method, dimensional analysis, and problem-solving frameworks like the "IDEAL" method (Identify, Define, Explore, Apply, Look back).

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice, practice, practice! The more problems you solve, the better you will become at identifying patterns and applying concepts to new situations. It can also be helpful to review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong in solving a problem.