Electric Force between glass ball and rubber ball

In summary, the question asks for the electric force between a glass ball with 3.5 µC of charge and a rubber ball with -5.0 µC of charge when they are separated by 5 cm. Using Coulomb's Law and the given value for K, the solution is calculated to be -1.611E-22. However, the calculation may be incorrect due to a possible error in the conversion of units.
Zokudu

Homework Statement

What is the electric force between a glass ball with 3.5 µC of charge and a rubber ball with -5.0 µC of charge when they are separated by 5 cm?

Homework Equations

Colombs Law:
F(electric)=K((q(1)*q(2))/r^2)
K=8.99E9

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a simple plug in problem but I'm having a little trouble.

First i get the elementary charges of both the glass and rubber balls
so 1.6E-19*3.5=5.6E-19 for q(1)
and 1.6E-19*5=8E-19 for q(2)

So i plug in the numbers i know and get:
F(electric)=8.99E9(((5.6E-19)*(8E-19))/(.005^2))=-1.611E-22

I plug this into the program my school uses for physics homework and it tells me I am wrong.

Can you see where I am doing something wrong? please any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First i get the elementary charges of both the glass and rubber balls
so 1.6E-19*3.5=5.6E-19 for q(1)
and 1.6E-19*5=8E-19 for q(2)
I don't understand why you did this. All you need to do is convert the 3.5 from microcoulombs to coulombs. Coulombs is the unit for charge.

F(electric)=8.99E9(((5.6E-19)*(8E-19))/(.005^2))=-1.611E-22

5 cm is not equal to 0.005 m. Check your conversion again.

Hello, it looks like you are on the right track with using Coulomb's Law to calculate the electric force between the glass and rubber balls. However, there are a few things that may be causing the discrepancy with your answer. First, the elementary charge of the glass ball should be positive since it has a charge of 3.5 µC. So, the correct value for q(1) would be 5.6E-19 C. Additionally, when using Coulomb's Law, it is important to use the distance in meters, so the separation of 5 cm should be converted to 0.05 m. Finally, make sure to include the negative sign for the charge of the rubber ball in your calculation. So, the correct equation would be:

F(electric) = 8.99E9 * ((5.6E-19 * (-5.0E-19)) / (0.05^2)) = -1.791E-22 N

I hope this helps and good luck with your physics homework!

1. What is the "Electric Force" between glass ball and rubber ball?

The electric force between the glass ball and rubber ball refers to the attractive or repulsive force that exists between the two objects due to their electric charges. This force is also known as the Coulomb force and is described by Coulomb's Law.

2. How is the electric force calculated between the two balls?

The electric force between the glass ball and rubber ball can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the size of the balls affect the electric force?

Yes, the size of the balls can affect the electric force between them. According to Coulomb's Law, the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges. Therefore, the larger the balls, the greater the force between them.

4. Can the electric force between the two balls be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, the electric force between the two balls can only be either attractive or repulsive. This depends on the charges of the balls - like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (one positive and one negative) will attract.

5. How does the distance between the two balls affect the electric force?

The distance between the two balls has a significant impact on the electric force between them. As per Coulomb's Law, the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.