Electric Force and Potential Energy Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric potential, work, electric force, and electric field between two objects with different charges and masses. Object I has a charge of +3 x 10^6 coulomb and a mass of 0.0025 kilogram, while object II has the same mass but a charge of +1 x 10^6 coulomb. The electric potential at point P, located 0.30 meter from object I, is 9.0*10^4 V. To bring object II from infinity to point P, the work done is W = Vq2. The magnitude of the electric force between the two objects when they are 0.30 meter apart is unknown. However,
science.girl

Homework Statement

Object I has a charge of + 3 x 10^6 coulomb and a mass of 0.0025 kilogram.

a. What is the electric potential at point P, 0.30 meter from object I ?

Object II, of the same mass as object I, but having a charge of + 1 x 10^6 coulomb, is brought from infinity to point P, as shown above.

b. How much work must be done to bring the object II from infinity to point P ?

c. What is the magnitude of the electric force between the two objects when they are 0.30 meter apart?

d. What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the point midway between the two objects?

The two objects are then released simultaneously and move apart due to the electric force between them. No other forces act on the objects.

e. What is the speed of object I when the objects are very far apart?

Homework Equations

V = ke*(q/r)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]PE = -WAB = -qEx[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

a. V = ke*(q/r) = 9.0*10^4 V

For b, would you use:
-WAB = -qEx[tex]\Delta[/tex]x ?

Your help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
science.girl said:
For b, would you use:
-WAB = -qEx[tex]\Delta[/tex]x ?

You can, but usually you use W = qΔV. In this case this seems easier since you already know V at P from part a.

My apologies... the answer was much easier than I had originally thought!

W = Vq2

I believe I have it from here.

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged objects. It is responsible for the interactions between charged particles and is a key component in understanding electricity and magnetism.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation for electric force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are some real-life examples of electric force?

Electric force is present in many everyday phenomena, such as when you rub a balloon on your hair and it sticks to the wall, or when lightning strikes during a thunderstorm. It is also responsible for the attraction between protons and electrons in an atom, and the repulsion between two like charges.

4. How does electric force differ from gravitational force?

Electric force and gravitational force are both fundamental forces, but they have some key differences. Electric force acts between charged particles, while gravitational force acts between any two objects with mass. Electric force is much stronger than gravitational force, but it can also be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.

5. How is electric force related to electric fields?

Electric force is closely related to electric fields, which are regions of space where electrically charged particles experience a force. The electric force on a charged particle is equal to the product of its charge and the electric field at that point. This relationship is described by the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field.