1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force question

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    First of all, hey everyone.
    I was wondering if any of you could help me solve this. I've tried but i keep getting insane equations so I might be doing something wrong.

Two equal spheres with a mass of m have equal charges q. They're suspended by two ropes with length L in points distanced d apart. Calculate the distance between the (centers) of the two spheres when this setup is in balance.
    Picture: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29642931/phys.png [Broken]

What I've tried so far is:
    The forces acting on the ball are the electric forces from the charges, the gravity and the tension frmo the rope. I figured the sum of these forces should be 0 for this setup to be balanced, which led me to: Fg + Fel+Frope with |Frope| = |Fg|/cos(θ) + |Fel|/sin(θ), but this is insanely hard to solve..

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good.
    I don't understand that last equation. What's the direction of the electric force?

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    The charges are equal, so the electrical forces act 'outwards', right?
    I got that last equation by fiddling a bit, I'm not too sure how to find the rope tension force..

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4
    use the diagram to find the forces at equillibrium

Attached Files:

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Right, which is horizontal.
    Redo it by considering horizontal and vertical components separately.

7. Aug 23, 2012 #6
    Using this diagram, I get the conditions:
    |Fel|= q²/(4π*ε*r²) = |T|sin(θ)
    |Fg| = mg = |T|cos(θ)

And I'm stuck here: how do I find r (or θ?) from this?

Edit : Dividing top by bottom I get : tanθ = q²/(4π*ε*r²*m*g)
    I can write r = d + 2Lsin(θ) -> r² = d²+4dLsinθ + 4L²sin²(θ)
    If I denote q²/(4π*ε*m*g) = C (for my ease of writing mainly), I get:
    C*cotθ = d²+4dLsinθ + 4L²sin²(θ), which I can then solve for θ (somehow)?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. Aug 23, 2012 #7
    you can try to eliminate T , so that you are left with only one variable (θ)

9. Aug 23, 2012 #8

Doc Al

I assume you are given θ and L, and must solve for d in terms of θ and L.

10. Aug 23, 2012 #9
    What I assume is L,d,q and m are given. (d being the distance between the fixpoints of the two ropes). I then have to solve for the distance r between the centers of the spheres (which can be found by finding θ.)

11. Aug 23, 2012 #10

Doc Al

Ah, OK. Do you need to solve it analytically, or are you given values for those givens? (Which you can then plug into a smart calculator, which can solve for θ.)

12. Aug 23, 2012 #11
    No values are given, so analytically I suppose. But I get the feeling this spits out a very ugly equation if I do it exactly..
    So maybe the answer to this question just is "For a θ which satisfies this equation, the distance is given by r = d + 2Lsinθ"?

Or, maybe, if I assume θ is small, I can get a neat approximate solution?
    Maybe something like: C*cotθ = (d+2Lsinθ)² ~ d² for small θ, so θ ~ arctan(C/d²) = arctan(q²/(4π*ε*m*g*d²))?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook