Solve Electric Force Homework: Find Initial Charge on Each Object

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the problem involves two identical objects with a distance of 0.296 m between them. In a vacuum, they attract each other with a force of 1.80 N. After being brought into contact and separated, they now repel each other with an equal force. To find the initial charge on each object, equations involving the force and distance are used. By solving for q1 and q2, the initial charges are found to be 4.186e-6 C and -4.186e-6 C respectively.
seb26

Homework Statement

Two objects are identical and small enough that their sizes can be ignored relative to the distance between them, which is 0.296 m. In a vacuum, each object carries a different charge, and they attract each other with a force of 1.80 N. The objects are brought into contact, so the net charge is shared equally, and then they are returned to their initial positions. Now it is found that the objects repel one another with a force whose magnitude is equal to that of the initial attractive force. What is the initial charge on each object, the answer to part (a) being the one with the greater (and positive) value?

Homework Equations

1) q1= 2*[tex]\sqrt{(Fe*r\stackrel{2}{})/k}[/tex] - q2
2) q1*q2= (Fe*r[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex])/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for q2 in the second equation. I ended up with a quadratic equation: (-7.58E4[tex]\stackrel{+}{-}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{7.58E8 - 4*8.99E9*-1.58E-1}[/tex]) / 2*8.99E9

The two solutions are 2.47E-7 C and -8.68E-6 C

By using the first equation to solve for q1, none of those solutions are satisfying since I don't get a negative charge for q1.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong

Also I solved for the final charge by taking the square root of q1*q2, in the second equation, and multiplying the result by 2. I got 8.38E-6 C

Physics news on Phys.org
seb26 said:

Homework Statement

Two objects are identical and small enough that their sizes can be ignored relative to the distance between them, which is 0.296 m. In a vacuum, each object carries a different charge, and they attract each other with a force of 1.80 N. The objects are brought into contact, so the net charge is shared equally, and then they are returned to their initial positions. Now it is found that the objects repel one another with a force whose magnitude is equal to that of the initial attractive force. What is the initial charge on each object, the answer to part (a) being the one with the greater (and positive) value?

Homework Equations

1) q1= 2*[tex]\sqrt{(Fe*r\stackrel{2}{})/k}[/tex] - q2
2) q1*q2= (Fe*r[tex]\stackrel{2}{}[/tex])/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for q2 in the second equation. I ended up with a quadratic equation: (-7.58E4[tex]\stackrel{+}{-}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{7.58E8 - 4*8.99E9*-1.58E-1}[/tex]) / 2*8.99E9

The two solutions are 2.47E-7 C and -8.68E-6 C

By using the first equation to solve for q1, none of those solutions are satisfying since I don't get a negative charge for q1.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong

Also I solved for the final charge by taking the square root of q1*q2, in the second equation, and multiplying the result by 2. I got 8.38E-6 C
You have the correct system of two equations to solve this problem. I'd just check your math if you're getting the wrong answers. (I substituted q1 into equation2 and plugged it into my solver and got 4.186e-6 if that helps)

If q1 is +ve and q2 is the -ve charge, then when they are brought in contact and separated, charge on each object is (q1 - q2)/2.
In the initial configuration, the force of attraction is
F = k*q1*q2/d^2 ...(1)
In the final configuration, the force of repulsion is
F = k*(q1-q2)^2/d^2...(2)
Since the two forces are equal, from eq.1 and 2 you get
q1*q2 = [(q1-q2)/2]^2 or
4*q1*q2 = (q1-q2)^2...(3). By a simple algebra you can write
8*q1*q2 = (q1+q2)^2...(4)
From eq.1 find q1*q2. Take sq.root of eq.3 amd 4 and solve for q1 and q2.

Thanks! I finally could figure it out.. i did major math errors

1. What is the formula for calculating electric force?

The formula for calculating electric force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How do I find the initial charge on each object in a problem?

To find the initial charge on each object, you will need to use the electric force formula and rearrange it to solve for q1 or q2, depending on which charge you are trying to find. You will also need to use the distance between the charges and the value of k, which is typically given in the problem or can be looked up.

3. What units are used for electric force and charge?

Electric force is typically measured in Newtons (N), while charge is measured in Coulombs (C). It is important to keep track of the units when solving electric force problems to ensure accurate calculations.

4. Can the direction of electric force be determined?

Yes, the direction of electric force can be determined by the direction of the charges. Like charges will repel each other and opposite charges will attract each other. The force will always act along the line connecting the two charges.

5. Can the electric force between two objects be negative?

Yes, the electric force between two objects can be negative if the charges have opposite signs. This indicates that the force is attractive rather than repulsive. However, in most problems, the magnitude of the force is used, so the negative sign is often ignored.