1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force

1. Feb 10, 2005 #1
    Hi, I am having some trouble with the following problem:

Calculate the electric force on a -3.29microC charge placed on the y axis at y=0.493m.

First I calculated the electric field at y=0.493m using the equation

E= (1/4piEo)*(q/r^2)

and found the electric field at that point to be -1.22E-5.
    Then to find the electric force, I used F=qE and found F to equal -0.401 N. But for some reason this doesn't work out to be the right answer. If anyone could tell me where I've gone wrong, it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2005 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If that's the complete statement of the problem, you should be having some trouble with it! :eek:

You need some information about whatever it is that is exerting an electric force on the charge in question.

That would be useful if you wanted to find the force that your given charge exerts on some other charge located 0.493m away (for example located at the origin). But even there you'd have to know how big that other charge is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?