1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Forces and Field HELP!

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

While studying for ap physicsb, i came across this question and i'm so confused!

There's a sphere with CHarge C in the center of the sphere, and Point P on the surface of the sphere. There are three separate charges +q on the surrounding area.. The question is what affects the electric field on P?
    -by the surrounding positive charges?
    -the center of the sphere? etc

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that electric field and charge of P would be affected by everything (+q AND C) because don't everything "emit" some Electric field on their surroundings. However, reading my textbook i find this "Conductor shields any charge within from electric field created outside the conductor....and E=0 conductor"

please help me on electric field and charges! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am assuming that the three +q charges are at arbitrary locations outside the sphere, right? And point P is on the outside surface of the sphere?

OK, the general rule is that the solid conductor will shield anything inside its surface from an outside electric field. But if P is on the outer surface, then it is not shielded from the 3 +q charges. Depending on the arrangement of those 3 charges, the net affect will be varied, including one (maybe two) very specific arrangements that will cause the net field to be zero. Other than that, there will be a net electric field at point P due to those charges.

E=0 inside a conductor unless there is a charge in the space inside the conductor. If point P is on the inner surface of the sphere, then the electric field will only be due to C.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much! You cleared up a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?