How Many Electrons Are Removed from a Charged Copper Ball?

In summary, the problem involves a 3.0mm-diameter copper ball charged to 50nC and asks for the fraction of electrons that have been removed. Using the equation d=m/v and the fact that the density of copper is 8900kgm^3, the volume of the ball can be calculated as 1.414 E -8. However, the solution of 5.682 E -16 obtained by finding the number of electrons (3.125 E 11) and using the calculated volume was incorrect. Further work is needed to find the correct solution.
Mek8388

Homework Statement

A 3.0mm-diameter copper ball is charged to 50nC.What fraction of its electrons have been removed? The density of copper is 8900kgm^3.

Homework Equations

d=m/v; v=4/3* pi r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked through it and got 5.682 E -16, but that answer was wrong. I first found the number of electrons were in it (3.125 E 11). I then found the volume (1.414 E -8), and I think that's where I got stuck after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what did you try to do after that?

Welcome to Physics Forums.
Mek8388 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked through it and got 5.682 E -16, but that answer was wrong. I first found the number of electrons were in it (3.125 E 11). I then found the volume (1.414 E -8), and I think that's where I got stuck after that.
Can you show the work you did to get those numbers? It would be easier to help you if you do that.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a type of force field that surrounds an electrically charged particle. It is created by the presence of an electric charge and can exert a force on other charged particles within the field.

2. How is an electric field different from an electric force?

An electric field is a region of space where an electric force can be felt, while an electric force is the actual force exerted on a charged particle within that field. In other words, the electric field is the cause and the electric force is the effect.

3. What is the relationship between electric charges and electric fields?

Electric fields are created by electric charges. The strength of an electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge present and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

4. How do electric forces and fields affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles will experience a force when placed in an electric field. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the field. If the particle is free to move, it will accelerate in the direction of the force.

5. How are electric forces and fields used in real-world applications?

Electric forces and fields are used in a variety of technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and electronic devices. They are also used in medical procedures, such as electrocardiograms and defibrillators. Additionally, electric fields are used in industrial processes, such as electroplating and particle accelerators.