Calculating Electric Force on Charges of 2.0 uC

In summary, the net electrostatic force on a charge is directed towards the center of the square, and is 0.56497 N.
NotaPhysicsMan
Ok,

the problem states: there are four charges, each with a magnitude of 2.0 uC. Two are positive and two are negative. The charges are fixed to the corners of a 0.30 m square, one to a corner, in such a way that the net force on any charge is directed toward the center of the square. Find the magnitude of the net electrostatic force experienced by any charge.

Anyway. I think that it is like this + -

+ -

So since the only attraction I see is : one positive to two negs, one across and one diagonal, no vertical but repulsive force.

So I do my components... Fx=kQq/r^2 = 8.99x10^9 (2.0x10^-6C)(2.0x10^-6C)/(0.30^2) = 0.3995 N. Since I got my x component and my y, essentially same, I do pythagoras and get the answer 0.56497 N for the net force.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three forces acting on each charge. Your answer gives the magnitude after accounting only for the two nearby attractive charges. But you need to also include the repulsive charge which is across the diagonal.

diagonal? wouldnt' that be a attractive force?

So there are three forces one across, one diagonal and one vertical (repulsion). The repulsion force is the same as the horizontal attraction, which is F= 0.3995 N. The diagonal force, is 0.200N found by finding the length of the diagonal line. So to find the net charge, I have to break down the 0.200 N into it's components right? I get approx. F=0.141 N for both x and y components. I add up the forces. For Fx= 0.3995+0.141 N= .5405N. And the Fy=0.3995-0.141 N = 0.2585 N. Use pythagoras and get Square Root of (0.3589)= 0.5990 N?

NotaPhysicsMan said:
Two are positive and two are negative. The charges are fixed to the corners of a 0.30 m square, one to a corner, in such a way that the net force on any charge is directed toward the center of the square.
Note that this implies that the charges are arranged so that like charges face each other across a diagonal, like this:
+ -
- +

1. How do you calculate the electric force on charges of 2.0 uC?

To calculate the electric force on charges of 2.0 uC, you will need to use the formula F = k(q1*q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electric force?

The unit of measurement for electric force is Newtons (N).

3. Can the electric force on charges of 2.0 uC be repulsive or attractive?

Yes, the electric force can be either repulsive or attractive depending on the sign of the charges. Like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (one positive and one negative) will attract each other.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric force?

The electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Is the electric force on charges of 2.0 uC affected by the medium between them?

Yes, the electric force can be affected by the medium between the charges. The strength of the electric force can be reduced if the medium has a high dielectric constant, which is a measure of how well the medium can store electrical energy. In a vacuum, the electric force will be the strongest, but in other mediums, it may be weaker.