Electric Forces Lab Homework: Calculating Charge of Pith Balls

In summary: I'm glad I could help. Have a good night too!In summary, the conversation involved calculating the electric force between suspended pith balls, taking into account the effects of gravity and the angle of the balls. The discussion concluded that the third resultant force, the string attached to the stand, keeps the balls from falling and that the equation tan 82.87 = Fg / Fe can be used to represent the forces acting on the balls.
General_Sax

Homework Statement

When the pith balls are suspended, all forces are balanced. Assuming a mass of 0.060g for each pith ball, calculate the electric force which is repelling the pith balls. Hint: draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's 2nd Law seperately in the x and y directions. Assuming an equal charge on each pith ball, calculate the charge in Coulombs of each pith ball.

The pith balls form an isosceles triangle with the stand.

Homework Equations

Fg = mg

Fe = [tex] \frac{kq1q2}{r^{2}} [\tex]

Fe = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Angle of pith balls = [tex] tan^{-1} (0.10/0.0125) [/tex] = 82.87

Because gravity is acting at an angle, so the acceleration due to gravity wouldn't be 9.81m/s^2 right?

Fg = (6.0*10^-5) * (Tan 82.87) * (9.81) = 4.705 * 10^-3

Fg = Fe

4.705 * 10^-3 = k q^2 / r^2

r^2 = 6.25*10^-4

q = sqrt[ (Fg)(r)^2) / k ]

q = sqrt[ (4.705 * 10^-3) (6.25*10^-4) / (8.99*10^9) ]

q = 7.2*10^-7 C

I'm not sure if my use of 'angles' was correct. If anyone can double check my work I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity will act vertically downward, not at an angle.

You are forgetting about 1 of the 3 forces acting on each ball. What prevents the balls from falling due to gravity?

You are forgetting about 1 of the 3 forces acting on each ball. What prevents the balls from falling due to gravity?

I'm not sure I follow. The best I can come up with is this: Fnet = Fe - Fg

Isn't Fnet equal to zero, because the pith balls are suspended?

2nd attempt:

Fg = Fe(tan 82.87)

q = sqrt[ ( (m)*(g)*(r)^2) / ( (k)*(tan82.87) ) ]

q = 1.3*10^-16C

The charge seems to be reasonable, especially when considering my original answer.

I've drawn a right angle triangle to represent the forces, I have Fe as the adjacent side, Fg as the opposite, and Fnet as the hypotenuse.

Yes, Fnet is zero since the balls are not moving.

But if Fnet were the hypotenuse, then it couldn't equal zero ... so it is not the hypotenuse.

Note that you have (hopefully) Fe and Fg acting at right angles to each other. There is no way they can combine to get Fnet=0 unless there is another force present.

Let me ask it this way: when there is no charge present, what keeps the balls from falling?

Redbelly98 said:
Let me ask it this way: when there is no charge present, what keeps the balls from falling?

The string attached to the stand keeps the pith balls from falling. . . I really hope that didn't read as incredibly foolish.

So far I've established (with your help of course) that Fe is operating horizontally and Fg is operating veritcally.

A third resultant force created by these two forces is also present.

Fnet is zero.

Fnet = F.unknown - Fe - Fg

0 = F.unkown - Fe - Fg

Am I on the right track?

Could I write the equation like this:

tan 82.87 = Fg / Fe

?

General_Sax said:
The string attached to the stand keeps the pith balls from falling

Yes, the string exerts a force on the balls to keep them from falling.

So far I've established (with your help of course) that Fe is operating horizontally and Fg is operating veritcally.
Yes.

A third resultant force created by these two forces is also present.

Fnet is zero.

Fnet = F.unknown - Fe - Fg

0 = F.unkown - Fe - Fg

Am I on the right track?

Looks good so far.

General_Sax said:
Could I write the equation like this:

tan 82.87 = Fg / Fe

?

Yes. (I'll take your word for it that the 82.87 degrees is correct)

Thanks a lot for your help. I really do appreciate you taking the time out of your day for me. I hope you have a pleasant night/evening.

You're welcome!

1. What is the purpose of the Electric Forces Lab Homework?

The purpose of the Electric Forces Lab Homework is to practice and demonstrate understanding of the principles and calculations involved in calculating the charge of pith balls using Coulomb's Law.

2. What materials are needed for the Electric Forces Lab Homework?

The materials needed for the Electric Forces Lab Homework include pith balls, a balance, a ruler, a charged object, and a lab notebook for recording data and calculations.

3. How do you calculate the charge of a pith ball?

The charge of a pith ball can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for calculating charge is Q = k*Q1*Q2/d^2, where Q is the charge of the pith ball, k is the proportionality constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. What is the significance of Coulomb's Law in the Electric Forces Lab Homework?

Coulomb's Law is significant in the Electric Forces Lab Homework because it is the fundamental principle used to calculate the charge of pith balls. It helps to understand the relationship between electric force, charge, and distance, and allows for accurate calculations of the charge of the pith balls.

5. Can the Electric Forces Lab Homework be used to study other types of forces?

While the Electric Forces Lab Homework specifically focuses on electric forces, the principles and calculations can be applied to other types of forces, such as gravitational forces. However, the lab itself is designed to specifically study electric forces and may not be suitable for studying other types of forces.