Calculating Electron Count and Net Charge in Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the number of electrons and net charge in one liter of water, based on its mass and the number of molecules in a mole. The conversation provides helpful hints and calculations to solve the problem, and the final answer is verified by another participant.
WGDawg3
First post here, so I wanted to say hello first of all. Must admit this board seems quite helpful. Anyways, here's my problem I'm having issues with, any help would be great.

Water has a mass per mole of 18.0 g/mol, and each water molecule (H2O) has 10 electrons. (a) How many electrons are there in one liter (1.00x10^-3) of water? (b) What is the net charge of all these electrons?

I'm not even sure where to get started which is my main problem. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the density of water?

A mole of water contains Avogadro's number of molecules, 6.02*10^23 and it has a mass of 18g. A liter of water has a mass of 1000g. So how many moles in one liter? Hence how many molecules in one liter? Hence how many electrons in one liter? Etc. Does that get you started?

Dick said:
A mole of water contains Avogadro's number of molecules, 6.02*10^23 and it has a mass of 18g. A liter of water has a mass of 1000g. So how many moles in one liter? Hence how many molecules in one liter? Hence how many electrons in one liter? Etc. Does that get you started?

I think I can maybe go with that... It's been a while since I've done anything physics related so I'm extremely rusty. Thanks, I'll be back quick with a response.

OK, I took that info and did my best to work out the problem... I came up with 3.34x10^26 which was very close to one of the answer choices provided by my professor. Anyone mind double checking me?

The other 4 choices were:

4.25x10^25
1.62x10^26
1.08x10^25
5.05x10^26

That looks fine to me.

Awesome, thanks a ton!

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a type of force that exists between two charged particles, such as electrons and protons. It is caused by the interaction of their electric fields and can either attract or repel the particles.

2. How is the strength of an electric force determined?

The strength of an electric force is determined by the charge of the particles involved and the distance between them. The greater the charge and the closer the particles are, the stronger the electric force will be.

3. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between electric charges and the resulting electric force. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How do electric forces affect the motion of charged particles?

Electric forces can cause charged particles to accelerate or change direction in their motion. They can also be balanced by other forces, resulting in the particles remaining at a constant velocity or remaining stationary.

5. How are electric forces and electric fields related?

Electric forces and electric fields are closely related, as the electric field is the region around a charged particle where an electric force can be felt. The strength and direction of the electric field determine the strength and direction of the electric force on a charged particle within that field.