1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Forces

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1104/58339946.jpg [Broken]][/URL]

2. Relevant equations [F=k*abs(q1)*abs(q2)/r^2]

3. I understand the equation, but I am having trouble with my signs and also how to include the distance in the equation. I know that the force can't be zero between the charges, and I think it has to be farthest away from the larger positive charge to make them equal to zero. The forces point in the same direction because they are opposite.]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Consider a point at a distance x from -q toward right, and find the forces on a unit positive charge due to two charges. Equate them to get the value of x.

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    I don't understand what you mean by that... I think I'm over-thinking this.

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Force on unit positive charge due to -q at a distance x*1o^-2 m from it is....?
    Force on unit positive charge due to 2q at a distance (10 + x)*10^-2 m is....?
    Since net force is zero, equate them to find x.

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5
    Thanks very much, I got it now.

((k*q)/x^2)-((k*2q)/(x+10)^2)=0, solving for x gives 24.142cm. Accounting for the distance of 5cm on the x axis give the point to be 29.142cm. This was the correct answer. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook