1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Generators

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    Hi,

My EM professor assigned me to make a paper about Electric Generators. But i have no idea how it works. Googling it, i found out that generators are similiar to electric motors

So, i'd like to know a college level introductory book about electric generators that may help me understand and simulate stuff regarding electric generators.

thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Electric Machines by Hubert:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...TofjBeStsAK72NSqBQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers

CS

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Tom.
    Please believe me when I say that I mean no offense by this, but your question sort of makes me wonder whether or not I'm still on the same planet that I was born on. We built electric motors in grade 6. (Really small ones, mind you... nothing that you could run a factory with.) A DC motor becomes a generator when the output shaft is turned by an external influence such as a waterwheel.
    The "Beakman's World" comic strip has shown how to make them a couple of times.

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    stewartcs, thanks for the indication!

Danger, thanks for the welcome! electric machines isn't just my area, so i'm a completely noob.

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5

Danger

Gold Member

No worries, Mate. I'm in the same boat, but my poisons are math and electronics. All that I know about them is that they are unpleasant, so I choose to avoid them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook