Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Generators

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    Hi,

My EM professor assigned me to make a paper about Electric Generators. But i have no idea how it works. Googling it, i found out that generators are similiar to electric motors

So, i'd like to know a college level introductory book about electric generators that may help me understand and simulate stuff regarding electric generators.

thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Electric Machines by Hubert:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...TofjBeStsAK72NSqBQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers

CS

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Tom.
    Please believe me when I say that I mean no offense by this, but your question sort of makes me wonder whether or not I'm still on the same planet that I was born on. We built electric motors in grade 6. (Really small ones, mind you... nothing that you could run a factory with.) A DC motor becomes a generator when the output shaft is turned by an external influence such as a waterwheel.
    The "Beakman's World" comic strip has shown how to make them a couple of times.

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    stewartcs, thanks for the indication!

Danger, thanks for the welcome! electric machines isn't just my area, so i'm a completely noob.

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5

Danger

Gold Member

No worries, Mate. I'm in the same boat, but my poisons are math and electronics. All that I know about them is that they are unpleasant, so I choose to avoid them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook