Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric grippers

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    Hi all, i need to create an electric gripper, the speed of the greep need to be about 2ms. So i tought to use a solenoid that can be real fast, but i found only hydraulic solenoid(and i can't find force that they can generate in datasheets) or big and heavy solenoids(too much for my project). The greep don't need to be real strong but i really need to contain the price. The displacement of the gripper need to be at least 1cm per part(so the solenoid need to do a minimum 1cm movement). Any ideas? about a better gripper or where to find parts(the name of parts)?

I will really appreciate any help!

I tought something like this: (sorry for bad drawings)

20accb6.jpg

or

rif4nm.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Moving something 1cm in 2 milliseconds is pretty fast! One option would be to use a strong spring to do the fast closure, and use a solenoid or screw mechanism to open it back up again to "cock it" for the next closure.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Thank you!

Yes, sorry, i wrong to type. It's 20ms.

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4
    Have you tried looking into high precision electric stepper motors?

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5
    I tought about it, but I'll need Stepper motor + Electronics that will cost a lot, consider that I need to make 4 or 5 of this arms and each arm have 2 gripper, the price will be soo high.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook