Is Adding a Rotary Switch for Tone Control on an Electric Guitar a Good Idea?

In summary, Gretchen uses capacitors and a selector switch on its 1950-60 era guitars. Owners called it the "mud switch". Not a very attractive name, but I have refurbished a couple of these, and the name fits. Want jangle, sparkle, chime? Don't throw the mud switch. Stewart MacDonald may have what you're looking for.
arithmetix
Hi Guys
I have been asked to consider modifying a brand-new kit-form electric guitar. The owner envisages an extra rotary switch providing a selection of capacitors providing tone control options.
My instinct is that this modification may be detrimental to the noise floor of the instrument, but it seems unreasonable to refuse on a matter of gut feeling so I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried something like this.
Thank you for considering my problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gretcsh used capacitors and a selector switch on its 1950-60 era guitars. Owners called it the "mud switch". Not a very attractive name, but I have refurbished a couple of these, and the name fits. Want jangle, sparkle, chime? Don't throw the mud switch.

One thing that I have done to several guitars is to install a switching option that flips the polarity of the windings of one of the pickups. Sometimes guitarists call that "out of phase" though that is inaccurate. What that mod does is allow you to scoop out the mids. In the first incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green's Les Paul guitar had one pickup reversed permanently, so when he switched to the middle position (both pickups on) he got a nice hollow, dry sound that he could sculpt by varying the other controls. If you can, you should bread board this external to the guitar and see if the owner likes it before making permanent mods.

... thank you.

arithmetix said:
... thank you.
Your'e welcome. If there is enough room in the body, you can get a replacement pot with a DPDT switch incorporated into it (either push-pull or spring-loaded push-push switch) to switch the polarity of one pickup so you don't have to booger up the exterior of the guitar with a toggle switch. Stewart MacDonald may have what you're looking for.

1. What is electric guitar modification?

Electric guitar modification refers to any changes or alterations made to an electric guitar in order to improve its sound, playability, or appearance. It can involve replacing or upgrading various components such as pickups, tuners, and bridges, as well as adding new features like additional switches or controls.

2. Why would someone want to modify their electric guitar?

There are many reasons why someone might want to modify their electric guitar. Some may be looking to improve the overall sound quality or tone of their instrument, while others may want to achieve a specific sound or emulate a certain artist. Some may also want to customize the appearance of their guitar to make it unique or better suit their personal style.

3. What are some common modifications made to electric guitars?

Some common modifications made to electric guitars include changing the pickups, installing a new bridge or tremolo system, upgrading the tuners, adding a kill switch or additional switches for more tonal options, and installing new wiring or electronics. Other modifications may involve changing the shape or material of the guitar body, adding a paint job or decals, or even adding LED lights.

4. Can anyone perform electric guitar modifications?

While some basic modifications can be done by anyone with basic knowledge and tools, more complex modifications may require the expertise of a professional guitar technician or luthier. It is important to have a good understanding of the guitar and its components before attempting any modifications, as it can be easy to damage the instrument if done incorrectly.

5. What are some potential risks involved in electric guitar modification?

There are a few potential risks involved in electric guitar modification. One is the risk of damaging the instrument if the modifications are not done correctly. Another risk is that the modifications may not achieve the desired result, and the guitar may end up sounding worse or being less playable. It is important to thoroughly research and plan any modifications before making any changes to the guitar.

Back