Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric guitar modification.

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    Hi Guys
    I have been asked to consider modifying a brand-new kit-form electric guitar. The owner envisages an extra rotary switch providing a selection of capacitors providing tone control options.
    My instinct is that this modification may be detrimental to the noise floor of the instrument, but it seems unreasonable to refuse on a matter of gut feeling so I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried something like this.
    Thank you for considering my problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Gretcsh used capacitors and a selector switch on its 1950-60 era guitars. Owners called it the "mud switch". Not a very attractive name, but I have refurbished a couple of these, and the name fits. Want jangle, sparkle, chime? Don't throw the mud switch.

One thing that I have done to several guitars is to install a switching option that flips the polarity of the windings of one of the pickups. Sometimes guitarists call that "out of phase" though that is inaccurate. What that mod does is allow you to scoop out the mids. In the first incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green's Les Paul guitar had one pickup reversed permanently, so when he switched to the middle position (both pickups on) he got a nice hollow, dry sound that he could sculpt by varying the other controls. If you can, you should bread board this external to the guitar and see if the owner likes it before making permanent mods.

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    ... thank you.

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Your'e welcome. If there is enough room in the body, you can get a replacement pot with a DPDT switch incorporated into it (either push-pull or spring-loaded push-push switch) to switch the polarity of one pickup so you don't have to booger up the exterior of the guitar with a toggle switch. Stewart MacDonald may have what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook