1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric impedance

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a circuit with a capacitor C in series an inductor of inductance L. Explain what happens when ω2LC=1, without calculations, using your knowledge and intuition.

2. Relevant equations
    1/Z = 1/impedance = 1/(iωL) +1/(iωC)
    i is pure imaginary.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, unfortunately I have no intuition. I don't know what the quantity ω2LC represents, but it appears in the equation when you rearrange to find Z. So when I worked out Z, it was -1/(iωC+iωL) when the set condition is met. Which is a bit weird, because -ve resistance makes no sense...?
    I've obviously gone wrong somewhere!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, a capacitor has impedance $$1\over j\omega C$$
    Look here for some ideas

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    So when ω2LC=1 then the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal. The current is oscillating at the resonant frequency of the circuit?

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right. Nothing wrong with your intuition.
    Reactances are equal and opposite. So together they are 'zero'. ##\bf V = Z I## (bold face to mark them as complex): there can be huge currents shooting back and forth with 'no' voltage needed to whip them up. In reality you can't have a lossless system, so characteristics of an RLC circuit sneak in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted