Can I Use Motors to Create an Efficient Electric Load Simulator?

In summary, this individual wants to build an electric load simulator in order to test various electrical loads. He suggests looking into cogeneration systems as an option, and mentions that grid-synchronized sine-wave inverters can be used to power a home-base alternative energy system.
Dan Kerr
I would like to build an electric load simulator for testing purposes along the lines of this link:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/l...275321.pdf?arnumber=4275321&authDecision=-203

A salt box would work (I have an old water softener tank), as would resistor banks, electric heaters and fans but these items give up the load as heat and are costly/dangerous to operate. Is there a "simple" way to have a motor turn another motor (as a generator) and insert the power back into the circuit? This would be a much more efficient way to create a power load. I have motors lying around, but am in way over my head here.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dan Kerr said:
I would like to build an electric load simulator for testing purposes along the lines of this link:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/l...275321.pdf?arnumber=4275321&authDecision=-203

A salt box would work (I have an old water softener tank), as would resistor banks, electric heaters and fans but these items give up the load as heat and are costly/dangerous to operate. Is there a "simple" way to have a motor turn another motor (as a generator) and insert the power back into the circuit? This would be a much more efficient way to create a power load. I have motors lying around, but am in way over my head here.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

You might look into cogeneration systems, where locally generated electricity can be put back into the grid with credit given by power companies. I don't know how they synchronize and add power back into the grid, but the technology certainly exists. Your local generator load would be the power source for the cogeneration adder/combiner circuit, whatever that is.

It looks like your setup would fall under the "micro cogeneration" classification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration

Home-base alternative energy systems (solar PV, windmills) sometimes use grid-synchronized sine-wave inverters to sell power back to the utility. For this to work, you will need to use a DC brush motor as a generator (no induction motor will work). Search Google for "grid tie inverters".

1. What is an Electric Load Simulator?

An Electric Load Simulator is a device used to mimic the electrical load of a system or device in order to test its performance under different conditions.

2. How does an Electric Load Simulator work?

An Electric Load Simulator works by using electronic components to simulate the electrical load of a system or device. This allows for controlled testing of the system's performance without the need for an actual load.

3. What are the benefits of using an Electric Load Simulator?

Using an Electric Load Simulator can save time and resources by allowing for efficient and controlled testing of a system's performance. It also eliminates the need for a physical load, which can be costly and difficult to obtain.

4. What types of systems or devices can an Electric Load Simulator be used for?

An Electric Load Simulator can be used for a wide range of systems and devices, including power supplies, batteries, electric vehicles, renewable energy systems, and more.

5. Are there different types of Electric Load Simulators?

Yes, there are different types of Electric Load Simulators, including resistive, capacitive, and electronic load simulators. Each type has its own unique features and capabilities, allowing for a variety of testing options for different systems and devices.