Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric / magnetic fields in a quadrupole ion optics

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    Hi!

I am a chemist (MSc) working in the field of analytical chemistry. I am using mass spectrometers for years now and I almost have no knowledge about the physical basics.

I have read a book about different ion optics, but it was still not deep enough. Could you give me some advice where to look for answers?

The things I know:
    In the quadrupole ion optics there are four parallel rods, the opposing rods on the same potential. This potential is either +(U + V cos (omega t)) or -(U + V cos (omega t)) on the given rods, so the electric field alters in time (the potential is F = [(x^2 - y^2)/r^2]*(U+V cos (omega t)) ), which - to the best of my knowledge - creates a magnetic field of which I have found no information on the web.

Then ions are introduced to this field parallel to the axis of the rods, and depending on the mass / charge ratio and the U and V potentials on the rods, some ions will have stable, and others unstable trajectories.

How does it really work? Where could I read about this?

Thanks for your replies.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted