What is the Relationship Between Velocity, Radius, and Force in a Pulley System?

• Thread starter AN630078
  • Start date
In summary, the problem with the velocity is that it is calculated based on the number of pulleys in the system, not the number of strings.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have been practising some of the past Oxford PAT papers and have come across a question with the mark scheme which I do not understand. I have attached a photograph of it.
Why does the velocity equal 3*initial velocity for part b? Why is the velocity not 0.5ms^-1?
Relevant Equations
W=v/r
B)
W=v/r
v=?
r=diameter/2=0.025m

Attachments

• C58189EC-65E8-401B-863E-BEDDA3FD63F4.jpeg
    C58189EC-65E8-401B-863E-BEDDA3FD63F4.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
AN630078 said:
Why does the velocity equal 3*initial velocity for part b?
That's just the way the pulleys are strung. For every 3 units of motion of the string being wound by the motor, the lifted mass rises 1 unit.
The problem seems to concern a steady rate of pull, without initial acceleration or any kind of 'initial state' defined.

Why is the velocity not 0.5ms^-1?
That's the velocity of the mass m, not the rate at which the reel is winding the string.

Halc said:
That's just the way the pulleys are strung. For every 3 units of motion of the string being wound by the motor, the lifted mass rises 1 unit.
The problem seems to concern a steady rate of pull, without initial acceleration or any kind of 'initial state' defined.

That's the velocity of the mass m, not the rate at which the reel is winding the string.
Oh ok thank you very much for your reply. I did not know that, so is it because there are three pulleys in this system to lift the mass by 1 unit. But for example if there were only two pulleys for the string to be wound around would the velocity be found by v=2u?
Right ok, I see that it is the velocity of the mass not the velocity of the winding.

AN630078 said:
Oh ok thank you very much for your reply. I did not know that, so is it because there are three pulleys in this system to lift the mass by 1 unit. But for example if there were only two pulleys for the string to be wound around would the velocity be found by v=2u?
It is not so much the number of pulleys but the number of strings between the pulleys. There are 3 strings pulling up on m, and the force needs to balance. So there is 980 N pulling down, so each string must be pulling up at 327N. The 333 answer seems to assume a round 10 m/sec gravitational acceleration.

Last edited:
Halc said:
It is not so much the number of pulleys but the number of strings. There are 3 strings pulling up on m, and the force needs to balance. So there is 980 N pulling down, so each string must be pulling up at 327N. The 333 answer seems to assume a round 10 m/sec gravitational acceleration.
Oh ok I think I understand it far better now Thank you for your help 👍😄

What is the formula for solving for v using W and r?

The formula for solving for v using W and r is v = W/r, where v is velocity, W is work, and r is distance.

What units should be used for W and r when solving for v?

The units for W should be in joules (J) and the units for r should be in meters (m) in order to get the correct unit of velocity, meters per second (m/s).

What is the relationship between W, r, and v when solving for v?

The relationship between W, r, and v can be understood as the amount of work done (W) over a certain distance (r) resulting in a specific velocity (v).

What happens if the value of W is negative when solving for v?

If the value of W is negative, it means that work is being done in the opposite direction of the displacement (r). This will result in a negative velocity, indicating that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force.

Can the formula for solving for v using W and r be used in any situation?

No, the formula can only be used in situations where the force applied (W) is constant and the object is moving in a straight line. It cannot be used for situations with varying forces or curved motion.