Understanding the Relationship Between Voltage, Frequency, and Motor Control

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between variable frequency drives and motors, specifically focusing on how current, torque, voltage, and frequency affect the speed and power output of a motor. The summary explains that current and torque are related through the magnetic field created by the current, and that increasing the frequency or voltage will also increase the rpm of the motor. The conversation also touches on the concept of "normal duty" and "heavy duty" applications and how they can affect the current and power output of a motor. Additionally, the conversation mentions different types of VFD schemes and cautions against using multiple motors with certain schemes to avoid damaging the VFD. The conversation also provides resources for further reading on the topic.
tomizzo
So I've been working with variable frequency drives recently and am curious about what they're actually controlling: motors.

So I'm curious how current and torque are related. So obviously torque is a force that causes something to rotate around an axis, therefore when the motor speed is controlled to increase or decrease, the torque should temporarily go up but then drop off to an extent once its settles on a speed?

I'm also curious as to how voltage and frequency affect the speed of motor.

Say its a 3 phase AC motor, voltage will have both a magnitude and frequency. I want someone to correct me if I'm wrong. Frequency in essence will control the speed of the motor to an extent. However, if you want the motor to go fast, you're also going to have to ramp up the voltage magnitude to keep the motor going to stay in sync with the frequency? Is that an incorrect assumption?

And lastly, if the motor reaches some resistance, this will decrease the power outputted from the motor, but why does the drawn current also decrease?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure if I can answer all your questions but here is a try,

Current and torque are related quite easily as current flowing through a conductor creates a magnetic field , the stronger the current the stronger the corresponding magnetic field, a motor is nothing more than a bunch of wires wired in a way so that each of their individual magnetic fields would line up altogether thus a iron core in the middle to amplify the magnetic field effect.
So more current stringer field more torque to to more work.

Whenever you want to increase rpm you have to get more power involved yet the current has to rise until more rpm is reached and it can take a steady state in which the current rise stops.Same happens if you don't rise the rpm but put more load on the axis , the magnetic field now has to do more work so it needs to be stronger so it takes more current to get a stronger field.Easy as that.

Now another thing remember that voltage is proportional to current , you cannot just rise voltage and leave the current behind , when raising one the other will also come up.

Yes frequency does influence the rpm, higher frequency will mean higher rpm , the magnetic field inside a motor is rotating and it has to do with the ac frequency the higher it is the more the field rotates the higher the rpm but for a given motor this cannot be infinite , there is a moment when more increase in frequency will not yield any more rpm , it has to do with the way the motor is wired and wound.

I don't quite understand about what kind of decrease in resistance are you talking about but if the power output of a motor decreases so has the current , everything is related here , you cannot have a motor running with no load consuming maximum current etc. That would be illogical.

I appreciate your response.

Take this image for example. It has rated drive current and horsepower outputs.
Yaskawa_J1000_Selection_Chart.jpg

So if continuous torque is required (Heavy Duty), the power output goes down and so does the output current. I understand if there is more strain on the motor, then of course the power outputted will go down. Quite simply, not as much work is being done. However, why is the current going down? Common sense tells me that if there is a heavy load to keep "torque-ing", there should be more current required, not less.

This normal duty - heavy duty stuff is confusing the hell out of me.

A Vfd runs a motor via pulse width modulation schemes, There are different schemes to handle torque applications. Volt vs hertx vfd's have low break away torque for example as compared to a flux control vfd. In essence the scheme is a predictive current controller. If you are using any scheme other than volts vs hertz do not hook up more than one motor to that vfd. It will misinterpret the current requirement and blow the vfd. Though not right away.

here is a couple of related articles the Rockwell knowledge base has numerous others for free download.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54974&d=1359050037

Attachments

• PWMDescription.pdf
    198.8 KB · Views: 256
  • motors-wp003_-en-p.pdf
    688.2 KB · Views: 511

I can provide some insight into the relationship between voltage, frequency, and motor control.

First, let's start with the basics. Voltage is the electrical potential difference between two points, and it is measured in volts (V). Frequency, on the other hand, is the number of cycles or oscillations per second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). In the context of motors, voltage and frequency are used to control the speed and torque of the motor.

The speed of a motor is directly proportional to the frequency of the power supply. This means that as the frequency increases, the speed of the motor will also increase. However, the voltage also plays a role in controlling the speed. As you mentioned, if you want the motor to go faster, you will need to increase both the frequency and the voltage. This is because the voltage helps to maintain the motor's speed and keep it in sync with the frequency.

Now, let's talk about torque. Torque is a measure of rotational force, and it is directly proportional to the current flowing through the motor. This means that as the current increases, so does the torque. However, as the motor reaches its desired speed, the torque will decrease to a certain extent. This is due to the motor's internal resistance, which causes a drop in torque as the speed increases.

As for your question about the drawn current decreasing when the motor reaches resistance, this is because the resistance causes a decrease in the motor's power output. This means that the motor requires less current to maintain its speed and torque, resulting in a decrease in the drawn current.

In summary, voltage and frequency work together to control the speed and torque of a motor. And as the motor reaches its desired speed, the torque will decrease due to internal resistance, resulting in a decrease in the drawn current. I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between voltage, frequency, and motor control.

1. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. It does this through the interaction of a magnetic field and electric current. The current flows through the motor's coils, creating a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of a permanent magnet. This interaction produces a force that causes the motor's shaft to rotate, resulting in mechanical energy.

2. What are the main components of an electric motor?

The main components of an electric motor include a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), a commutator, and brushes. The stator contains the motor's coils and the rotor contains the permanent magnet. The commutator and brushes are responsible for transferring electricity to the motor's coils.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC motors?

AC (alternating current) motors operate on an alternating current, meaning the direction of the current changes periodically. DC (direct current) motors operate on a constant, unidirectional current. AC motors are typically used for larger, more powerful applications, while DC motors are commonly used in smaller, portable devices.

4. How do you determine the power output of an electric motor?

The power output of an electric motor is determined by its voltage and current. The power output (in watts) can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amps). For example, a motor with a voltage of 12 volts and a current of 5 amps would have a power output of 60 watts.

5. What are the advantages of using an electric motor over other types of motors?

One of the main advantages of using an electric motor is its efficiency. Electric motors can convert a high percentage of electrical energy into mechanical energy, making them more efficient than other types of motors. They also have a wide range of applications and can be easily controlled and adjusted for speed and torque. Additionally, electric motors do not produce emissions, making them more environmentally friendly than combustion engines.