Can Electric Motors Match the Power-to-Weight Ratio of Human Muscles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of electric motors being able to compare to the strength of human muscles in terms of power-to-weight ratios and efficiency. While it is possible for motors to be engineered to have high power-to-weight ratios, human muscles are still more efficient. The conversation also mentions the potential use of biobased plastics as artificial muscles in various applications.
Jake
Is it possible for electric motors to compare to the strength of human muscles, in terms of power-to-weight ratios? That is, with the proper engineering, is it theoretically possible? I don't see why not, simply increasing voltage increases power, if the heat generated is a problem, can't the motor be engineered to withstand the temperatures? Or does it have something to do with how muscles can vary torque/speed at will but motors can't?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jake said:
Is it possible for electric motors to compare to the strength of human muscles, in terms of power-to-weight ratios? That is, with the proper engineering, is it theoretically possible? I don't see why not, simply increasing voltage increases power, if the heat generated is a problem, can't the motor be engineered to withstand the temperatures? Or does it have something to do with how muscles can vary torque/speed at will but motors can't?

Although I'm not 100% sure, I would imagine that as far as power-to-weight goes the answer would be yes. However, as far as efficiency goes, the answer is no.

CS

Jake said:

I think it is possible but more complex, using a motor for a gripper instead of a pneumatic or hydraulic actuator for example.

The Japanese have some robots that mimic many of the muscles of a human, and can even run. I think Aibo is one, and it's using only electric motors.

It's got a box on its back though, probably batteries taking too much weight in it. So while electric motors may be very energy efficient, probably more efficient than muscles, the energy storage technology at present is inferior to that of a living organism.

Motorized gripper

http://www.intelligentactuator.com/pdf/RCP2SmallGripper.pdf

I don't know if i can agree with the efficiency of muscle.
animals and humans consume one hell of a lot of matter to generate power.
average of 3 meals a day and that is just to sustain a lifestyle of sitting at a desk and moving your fingers (obviously wrt humans and not animals. heh.)
As soon as you talk about physical labor the food requirement increases dramatically.
Then there is the water requirement.

linton said:
average of 3 meals a day and that is just to sustain a lifestyle of sitting at a desk and moving your fingers (obviously wrt humans and not animals. heh.)
As soon as you talk about physical labor the food requirement increases dramatically.

But how much energy is that really? A normal human consumes about 3000 calories a day, which is only about 12000 joules. Physical labor requirements can push that energy requirement as high as 8000 calories, or 33 kJ.

If my calculations are correct, a 100W lightbulb can consume 33KJ in less than half an hour.

linton said:

I've always been under the impression that the human body is more efficient. Here is a quick link comparing humans to cars, for example. Not sure if it is considered a reputable source though.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/diet1.htm

However, http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1405410&blobtype=pdf" [Broken] offers some good insight to the mechanical efficiency of human muscles.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
You can survive quite a lot of days without eating regardless of body weight, if you consider only muscles. Surviving is another issue, it is related with the inner stability of the human body or let say sustainability, therefore if we isolate the muscles for the discussion they are incredibly efficient. Also the brain makes them more efficient if you consider walking for example. The argument might be over repeatability or let say durability. Then things obviously change.

Overall, I would say that from a net power/weight standpoint some motors can equal the performance of human muscles. From an power/energy input standpoint, human muscles are more efficient but also more affected by number of repetitions and duty cycle.

Another problem is that motors are not inherently linear in their application of power; as a general rule motors are rotational, which means you have to have a special linear stage to convert the motor's angular speed and torque into linear speed and force. This would of course be subject to certain efficiencies based on the type of stage used. It also adds a significant amount of weight to the motor assembly and could possibly make it such that human muscles are able to put out more linear power per pound than a motor/stage assembly.

i recently heard of technology that is still in research and development phase.
this is a synthetic material similar to plastic, but biobased that expands and contracts with electric pulses.

the following is from Science Daily article 'Biobased Plastic Flexes Its Muscle'
There is now significant interest in the possible use of electroactive polymers in many industrial and biomedical applications, from light-emitting diodes and controlled-release devices to artificial muscles and environmental sensors. The material is typically petroleum-based, but ARS researchers Victoria Finkenstadt and J.L. Willett showed that plant polysaccharides like starch can work just as well.

i could be grouped into large masses with similar construction to the human muscle and used in advanced robotics

Mech_Engineer said:
But how much energy is that really? A normal human consumes about 3000 calories a day, which is only about 12000 joules. Physical labor requirements can push that energy requirement as high as 8000 calories, or 33 kJ.

If my calculations are correct, a 100W lightbulb can consume 33KJ in less than half an hour.

The 'Calorie' commonly quoted in a food context is actually a kilocalorie.

That one is well known for dumping unsubstantiated "words of wisdom" under a false air of authority in mechanics, but his new degree in biology and associated wisdom is an impressive development indeed.

Last edited:

1. How do electric motors act as muscles?

Electric motors act as muscles by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy is then used to produce movement, similar to how muscles in the human body contract and relax to produce movement.

2. What are the advantages of using electric motors as muscles?

Using electric motors as muscles has several advantages, including high power-to-weight ratio, controllable force and speed, and the ability to be easily programmed and controlled.

3. Can electric motors mimic the movements of human muscles?

Yes, electric motors can mimic the movements of human muscles by being programmed to contract and relax in a coordinated manner. This allows for precise and controlled movements.

4. What are some potential applications of electric motors as muscles?

Electric motors as muscles have a wide range of potential applications, including in prosthetics and exoskeletons, robotics, and industrial machinery. They can also be used in medical devices, such as for rehabilitation and physical therapy.

5. Are there any limitations to using electric motors as muscles?

While electric motors have many advantages, there are also some limitations to using them as muscles. These include the need for a power source, potential mechanical failures, and the inability to replicate the complexity and adaptability of human muscles.