Exploring the Mechanics of an Electric Motor

In summary: John discuss an electric motor and its workings, specifically in relation to a video on YouTube. They mention the parallel spinning of the wheel to the magnetic field lines and wonder what causes the movement. Dave has read a Wikipedia article and explains that the current flowing through the shaft causes the balls to deform and move, but mentions that this type of motor has low efficiency and limited practical usage. John is impressed by the high RPM achieved in the video. In summary, the conversation revolves around the explanation of an electric motor's functioning and its practicality.
SirR3D
Can anyone explain how this electric motor works?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LOF1GZpdo

The spinning wheel is parallel to the magnetic field lines produced by the current through the shaft so what exactly drives this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
SirR3D said:
Can anyone explain how this electric motor works?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LOF1GZpdo

The spinning wheel is parallel to the magnetic field lines produced by the current through the shaft so what exactly drives this?

I've read the wiki article (link) From what I've understood, you first need to roll the wheel in the direction you want. When the current flows through it, the balls get warmer and get asymmetrically deformed which causes it to move. It also says that it has no practical usage because of its insignificantly low efficiency.
(I think the german article was more understandable. And in the english article it says the effect can also be explained without the thermal effects.)

Likes mfb and berkeman
Garlic said:
From what I've understood, you first need to roll the wheel in the direction you want.

yes you do, as was done in the video

Garlic said:
When the current flows through it, the balls get warmer and get asymmetrically deformed which causes it to move.

if that is correct ... it's a reason I would have never have thought of

Quite an interesting demo, it got up to a really high RPM !Dave

1. What is an electric, non-magnetic motor?

An electric, non-magnetic motor is a type of motor that operates using electricity but does not rely on magnetic fields to function. Unlike traditional electric motors that use magnets and magnetic fields to create motion, these motors use alternative methods such as electrostatic attraction or repulsion.

2. How does an electric, non-magnetic motor work?

The exact mechanism of how an electric, non-magnetic motor works can vary depending on the specific design. However, in general, these motors use electrical charges to create motion. This can be achieved through electrostatic forces, where positively and negatively charged objects are attracted or repelled, or through the use of electric fields to push and pull charged particles.

3. What are the advantages of an electric, non-magnetic motor?

One of the main advantages of an electric, non-magnetic motor is that it does not require the use of rare and expensive magnets. This can make the motor more cost-effective and efficient to produce. Additionally, these motors can also be more environmentally friendly as they do not rely on the use of potentially harmful materials.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an electric, non-magnetic motor?

One potential disadvantage of using an electric, non-magnetic motor is that it may not be as powerful or efficient as traditional electric motors. This can be due to the limitations of using alternative methods for creating motion. Additionally, these motors may also require a more complex design and construction process.

5. What are some common applications of electric, non-magnetic motors?

Electric, non-magnetic motors have a wide range of potential applications, including in electric vehicles, household appliances, robotics, and medical devices. They can also be used in industrial settings for tasks such as conveyor belt systems and pumps. As technology continues to advance, new and innovative uses for these motors may emerge.