Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric orbit of positronium

1. May 13, 2004 #1
    Hi there! I hope someone can help me with this problem. I've been working on this for over 5 hours and I've gotten nowhere!

A positron is a particle with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. A positron and an electron can briefly form an unusual atom known as positronium. Imagine a situation where the two particles are in a circular orbit about their center of mass. Since the particles have equal mass, the center of mass is midway between them. Let r be the separation of the particles (so that the orbits are each of radius r/2).

(a) Show that the orbital period T is related to the separation distance r by:

T^2 = (16)(pi^3)(E0)(me)(mp) (r^3)
    (e^2)[(me) + (mp)]

This is a consequence of Kepler's third law for electrical orbits.

(b) Show that if an electron and a proton are in circular orbits about their center of mass (which is not at the midway point between them but much closer to the proton), then the same expression results.

OK, so so far, I'm guessing that I somehow use the formulae:

q = ne

F = 1 |Q||q|
    -------- x ---------
    4(pi)(E0) (r^2)

But I'm not really sure where the rest of it comes from

If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2004 #2
    The bad idea of Keplerian orbits being used aside, if the orbit is indeed a circle, then the force each particle feels must obey the centripetal force equation, F=mv2/r. In this case the centripetal force is the electrostatic force, so they two equations can be set equal to each other.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?