1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric polarization

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    Does the electric polarization density of a dielectric inside a capacitor have the same direction as the electrical field? Considering the electric dipole moment vector goes from the - charge to + charge?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, because the electrons in the dielectric are dragged a bit out of their equilibrium positions due to the applied electric field in the opposite direction than the field, because the force is [itex]\vec{F}=-e \vec{E}[/itex], where [itex]-e<0[/itex] is the electron's charge. The net effect (in lineare-response approximation) is an induced polarization
    [tex]\vec{P}=\chi_{\text{el}} \vec{E}.[/tex] This is for homogeneous isotrophic media and time-independent (static) electric fields.

For time-dependent fields, this relation holds in the frequency domain, i.e., you have
    [tex]\vec{P}(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} t' \chi_{\text{el}}(t-t') \vec{E}(t',\vec{x}).[/tex]
    The causality constraint, [itex]\chi_{\text{el}}(t-t') \propto \Theta(t-t')[/itex] makes the susceptibility to a retarded Green's function. In the frequency domain, i.e., for the Fourier transform of the quantities the above convolution integral translates into
    [tex]\tilde{\vec{P}}(\omega,\vec{x})=\tilde{\chi}_{\text{el}}(\omega) \tilde{\vec{E}}(\omega,\vec{x}).[/tex]
    The retardation condition makes [itex]\tilde{\chi}(\omega)[/itex] a holomorphic function in the upper complex [itex]\omega[/itex]-half plane, where use the usual physicist's convention for Fourier transforms between the time and frequency domain:
    [tex]f(t)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \frac{\mathrm{d} \omega}{2\pi} \tilde{f}(\omega) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook