Electric Potential Homework: Kinetic Energy Calculation

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the potential difference between two parallel plates is 529V. An alpha particle with a mass of 6.64kg and charge of 3.20C is released from rest near the positive plate. The kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it reaches the other plate can be calculated by using the equation U=qEr(distance). Since there is no gravity involved in the problem, only the electric potential energy needs to be taken into account. Therefore, E=V/distance can be used to calculate the electric field between the two plates.
Winzer

Homework Statement

The potential difference between two parallel plates is 529 V. An alpha particle with mass of 6.64 kg and charge of 3.20 C is released from rest near the positive plate. What is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it reaches the other plate? The distance between the plates is 19.4 cm.

Homework Equations

[tex] U_{initial}=K_{Final}[/tex]
[tex] U=q_{0}E\DeltaR[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am trying to find E now so I can plug that in for U. E=V/distance right? so
[tex] E= 1058/.194[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the electric potential energy immediately. You know q, you know V...

the question is do you need to consider gravitational potential energy for this problem... are the capacitor plates up and down, or side to side?

Last edited:
No, it is simply taking into account the electric potenial energy, no gravity included in the problem.
U=qEr(distance) so don't I need to calculate E?

Winzer said:
No, it is simply taking into account the electric potenial energy, no gravity included in the problem.
U=qEr(distance) so don't I need to calculate E?

You already know V. So U = qV.

V being the potenial difference between the two plate -> 529V correct?

Winzer said:
V being the potenial difference between the two plate -> 529V correct?

yeah.

ok I got it thanks

Winzer said:
ok I got it thanks

no prob.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is typically measured in volts.

2. How is electric potential related to kinetic energy?

Electric potential is directly related to kinetic energy through the equation E = qV, where E is the kinetic energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential. This means that as the electric potential increases, so does the kinetic energy.

3. How do you calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the work done by an electric field on a charge by the magnitude of the charge. The equation is V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work, and q is the charge.

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a system. Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of a system of charges.

5. How is electric potential used in kinetic energy calculations?

Electric potential can be used in kinetic energy calculations to determine the work done on a charge by an electric field, which can then be used to find the kinetic energy of the charge. It can also be used to determine the direction and magnitude of the electric force on the charge.