1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential again.

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    electric potential....again.

So, I've still got my two infinite lines of charge that run parallel to the x axis running along the lines x = a and x = -a and with charge density + and - lambda respectively.

I've figured out that using the origin as my reference point allows me to integrate the electric field of my lines from a to the point in question (r). However, because the field goes like 1/r, we end up with a ln of something in the potential. For the line that's positive a away from the x axis, there's no problem. But, for the line that runs along x = -a, how can I integrate? should I be integrating from a to r again, or from -a to r. The problem with the latter is that you can't have the natural logarithm of a negative number.

I would REALLY appreciate any advice. I'm a little desperate....

W. =)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2
    Remember, the r in 1/r is the distance to the charge so it should always be positive. If your point is (x, y) then the distance to the line x = -a is |x + a| and the distance to the line x=a is |x-a|
  4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    that makes sense....I figured it was a that I needed to use, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the help. =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?