Electric potential and velocity of a proton

In summary, the proton's speed at point B can be calculated by using the concept of conservation of energy, where the potential energy lost by the proton as it moves from point A to B is equal to the kinetic energy gained. The potential energy lost can be determined by finding the potential difference between points A and B, which in this case is 40 volts. Further understanding of electric potential is necessary in order to correctly apply these calculations.
Foxhound101

Homework Statement

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1020825/7/jfk.Figure.21.P56.jpg
A proton's speed as it passes point A is 4.40×10^4 m/s. It follows the trajectory shown in the figure.

What is the proton's speed at point B?

Homework Equations

Knowing this would be very helpful

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt yet...If I knew what formulas to use, that would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, an electric field is accelerating the charge in the direction of decreasing electric potential. Hence, the charge's kinetic energy (and therefore velocity) is increasing.

But you don't know the electric field and therefore the force. So how do you figure out the change in kinetic energy? Because you know the potential, which is equivalent information. Think about it in terms of conservation of energy. The proton loses electric potential energy in moving from point A to B, which means that it must gain exactly that amount of kinetic energy. And you know, from the diagram, exactly how much potential energy per unit charge is lost in going from A to B. NOW do you understand what calculations need to be carried out?

Physics is not about memorizing formulae, it's about understanding and applying concepts. We can teach you equations, but if you don't understand physics, you won't know which ones to use in which situations. ;-)

Sadly, I still do not understand. This entire chapter confuses me.

Okay. To summarize what I said in my second paragraph:

potential energy lost = kinetic energy gained.

potential energy lost is depicted on the diagram. The lines shown are lines of constant electric potential (like contours). The proton is crossing them, going "downhill" as it were. How much potential energy does it lose?

40v?

Right, exactly. The potential difference is 30 V - (-10 V) = 40 V.

Now, electric potential is potential energy PER UNIT CHARGE (1 volt = 1 joule/coulomb).
So, given *that* potential difference (40 V) between points A and B, how much does the potential energy of this *particular* charge decrease?

1 v = 1 j/c

so...

40 v = 40 j/c

40 j/c

Dude, that's how much energy is lost PER UNIT charge. I asked you for the total amount of potential energy lost (in JOULES! Energy is measured in joules). Hint, we have a certain *amount* of charge passing by, and we know how much energy is lost per UNIT of charge.

Edit: You need to review the concept of electric potential. Make sure you understand why I am saying what I am saying. Electric potential measures how much potential energy there is at a point PER UNIT charge. I.e. a "test" charge of 1 coulomb sitting at that point would have that potential energy.

Alright, thanks for the help. I shall try again later after reviewing the material.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential related to the velocity of a proton?

The electric potential at a point is directly proportional to the velocity of a proton at that point. This means that as the electric potential increases, the velocity of the proton also increases.

3. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge acting on a charged particle at a point in the electric field.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. The electric potential at a point is directly proportional to the electric potential energy at that point.

5. How is the electric potential of a proton affected by external factors?

The electric potential of a proton can be affected by the presence of other charged particles, the distance from the source of the electric field, and the strength of the electric field. These factors can cause the electric potential to increase or decrease, thus affecting the velocity of the proton.