What is the relationship between electric potential and work?

In summary: The important thing to remember is that the overall energy is conserved.In summary, the conversation discusses questions about understanding electric potential and work formulae, particularly in relation to positive and negative signals and work done by the electric field and other sources. The differences in potential formulae with and without a negative signal could be due to perspective or processing within the integral. Work done by the electric field can be both positive and negative, depending on the context, and the overall energy is conserved.
maskerach
Hello,

my questions are not really about an exercise or something "given". Instead, I'm having trouble understanding the concepts behind electric potential and work formulae/meaning. Maybe (probably) I missed the basics. Assume that I'm working with a puntiform charge.

1 - I've seen electric potential formulae (using the integral method) appear with and without a negative signal on the integral, and the limits were at the same position in both cases, no inverting at all: what are the differences?

2 - Why is work done by the electric field negative, and the work done by something other than the electric field positive? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was the other way around?

Physics news on Phys.org
maskerach said:
1 - I've seen electric potential formulae (using the integral method) appear with and without a negative signal on the integral, and the limits were at the same position in both cases, no inverting at all: what are the differences?
Hi maskerach. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

It's all a matter of perspective. If it's a battery that is doing the work, then the battery is depleted of that energy. So a negative would be appropriate for it. For the actuator or heating element, it is work done on it, so positive would seem appropriate.

The nett result, energy sums to zero, meaning no energy was created or destroyed in the process. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
For 1:

It could be for a variety of reasons. It might just mean that in the context only the magnitude of the potential matters, so you would just throw away the negative. It could also be that they do a bit of processing on the inside of the integral -- the integrand involves the dot product of the electric field and the displacement of the integration, so if this is negative they could have taken it out and canceled it with the other negative in front.

For 2:

I'm not quite sure what you mean -- the field can do both positive and negative work, and so can an external force. It just depends on the context.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work that must be done to move a unit positive charge from one point to another against an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the amount of work per unit charge, whereas electric potential energy is the total amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another. Electric potential is a property of the electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of a charged particle in the field.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the direction of the electric field is in the direction of decreasing electric potential. In other words, the electric field points in the direction that a positive charge would move in the electric potential.

4. How is work related to electric potential?

The work done in moving a charge from one point to another is equal to the change in electric potential energy. This can be calculated by multiplying the charge by the change in electric potential.

5. How is electric potential used in practical applications?

Electric potential is used in many practical applications, such as in electrical circuits and batteries. It is also used in electrostatics to understand the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with electric fields.