Electric potential at a point in a sphere

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding the electric potential at a point inside an insulating sphere with a radius of 50 cm and charge Q of 12 micro C. They know the equation for electric potential at a point on the surface and outside the sphere, but are unsure of what to do since they cannot use the total charge. The other person in the conversation suggests that since the sphere is an insulator, there is no electric field inside it. The potential changes outside the sphere, but once inside it remains the same as at the surface.
agirlsrepublic
im having trouble finding the electric potential at a point inside a sphere at r= 40 cm where the radius of the sphere is 50 cm and the charge Q is 12 micro C.
i know that v= kQ/r at a point on the surface and at a point outside the sphere but what to i do now that i can't use total charge

does any have an idea?
please help its driving me mad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that the sphere is a conductor, in which case there is no electric field within it. There's an electric field outside the sphere which you must do work against to make it to the surface of the sphere, meaning the potential is changing as you get closer and closer to the surface. Once you get inside of it, however, the potential doesn't change and is simply the same potential at the surface.

no its not..its an insulating sphere

1. What is electric potential at a point in a sphere?

The electric potential at a point in a sphere is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at that point. It is a scalar quantity that describes the strength of the electric field at that point.

2. How is electric potential at a point in a sphere calculated?

The electric potential at a point in a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point.

3. Does the electric potential at a point in a sphere depend on the size of the sphere?

Yes, the electric potential at a point in a sphere is directly proportional to the size of the sphere. This means that as the size of the sphere increases, the electric potential at a point also increases.

4. How does the electric potential at a point in a sphere change with distance from the center of the sphere?

The electric potential at a point in a sphere decreases as the distance from the center of the sphere increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential at points further away from the center.

5. Can the electric potential at a point in a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point in a sphere can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative. In this case, the electric potential is negative because the charge is repelling other negative charges and attracting positive charges.