Electric potential at the charge

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential of point charges at the location of one of the point charges. The provided equation for potential involves a sum and a constant term, and the solution may involve setting a certain term equal to zero. The conversation also mentions that the potential is undefined at the location of the point charges.
berra

Homework Statement

What should I do when I calculate the potential of point charges at the point of one of the point charges?

Homework Equations

The definition of a potential from point charges are:
[tex] \phi(\textbf{r}) = (4\pi \epsilon_0)^{-1}\sum_{i}[q_i |\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_{q_i}|^{-1}] + C [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting [itex]q_i |\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_{q_i}|^{-1}=0[/itex] when [itex]\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}_{q_i}=\textbf{0}[/itex]. Haven't seen this anywhere in the lecture material though, but I am guessing that is what one should do. If so, what is the "real" definition of the potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential diverges as the location of the point charges. It's not defined there.

1. What is electric potential at the charge?

Electric potential at the charge is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is electric potential at the charge calculated?

The electric potential at the charge is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge present at that point. It can be mathematically represented as V = U/q, where V is the electric potential, U is the electric potential energy, and q is the charge.

3. What is the unit of electric potential at the charge?

The unit of electric potential at the charge is volts (V). This unit is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. What factors affect the electric potential at the charge?

The electric potential at the charge is affected by the amount of charge, the distance between charges, and the type of material the charges are in. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding area.

5. How is electric potential at the charge related to electric field?

The electric potential at the charge is directly related to the electric field. The electric field is the force per unit charge at a specific point, while the electric potential is the energy per unit charge at that point. The electric potential is equal to the electric field multiplied by the distance between charges, represented as V = Ed.