1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential due to two point charges

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge + q is fixed at each of the two points (±a,0,0). Show that the potential V at a point (x,y,z) near to the origin may be expressed as

V = [q/4∏*ε*a] [[2+(2x2-y2-z2)/a2]
    where x, y and z are small compared with a.

2. Relevant equations

V(x) = q/4∏i*ε*r , where r is the distance between the point charge and x and V is the potential at x.

Superposition, i.e. V due to multiple point charges = the sum of V due to each point charge

(1+x)^n = 1+nx+... valid for small x.

3. The attempt at a solution

This seemed like an incredibly straightforward problem, which is probably why it's quite frustrating. I tried adding together the potentials due to each point charge, approximated using the binomial expansion:

V(q1) = q/4∏ε[(x+a)2 + y2 +z2]^-1/2

V(q2) = q/4∏εa[(a-x)2 + y2 +z2]^-1/2

Taking a out of the brackets as a common factor gives:

V(q1) = q/4∏εa [(x/a + 1)2+ (y2+z2)/a2)]^-1/2

and a similar expression for V(q2) but with (1-x/a)2.

I then expanded the squares and used (2x/a + (x2+y2+z2)/a2) as a small parameter to perform the binomial expansion; this gave

V(q1) = q/4∏εa [1 - x/a - (x2+y2+z2/2a2)]

V(q2) = q/4∏εa [1 + x/a - (x2+y2+z2/2a2)]

Which doesn't lead to the desired result when added; where did I go wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2
    I think I've worked it out; need to keep the terms to the second order. Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted