1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Energy problem

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    "Two particles each have a mass of 6.1*10-3 kg. One has a charge of +5.0*10-6 C, and the other has a charge of -5.0*10-6 C. They are initially held at rest at a distance of 0.80 m apart. Both are then released and accelerate toward each other. How fast is each particle moving when the separation between them is one-half its initial value?"

What equations would I need to use in order to solve this problem? I tried using EPE/q=Va-Vb, but the voltage cancels out, so I'm unsure as to where to go from there. Thanks.

~Futron

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    Use kinetic and potential energy relationships. Initially they both have no kinetic energy, but a certain amount of potential energy. When d = d/2 they have a certain about of potential and kinetic energy. Find the potential energy in both cases, any potential energy lost would have been translated into kinetic energy.

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    Alright, I tried using EPEi=EPEf+(1/2)mv^2 where EPE=q0*(Va-Vb), but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4
    [itex] EPE_f-EPE_i = mv^2/2, and EPE = q(V_b-V_a) [/itex] are the amended versions of your equations. Find the potential with [itex] U = qE\Delta x[/itex]

This will take you in circles though.

The force between the charges is given by coulombs law. Find the difference in potential energy at d = r and d = r/2.

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5
    So if I have [itex] EPE_a-EPE_b=q_0(V_A-V_B) [/itex] where [itex] V=kQ/r [/itex], how would I then find the difference between the two when the distance is halved?

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6
    [itex] U = qE\Delta x[/itex]

The field for point charges is [itex] E = \frac{kq}{r^2} [/itex]

[tex] \Delta x_i = 0.8m, \Delta x_f = 0.4m [/tex]

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7
    Thanks, but I'm still not getting the correct answer. Which charge should I use for [itex] q [/itex] in [itex] EPE=qE\Delta x [/itex], and once I get that, would it simply be a matter of solving [itex] EPE_f-EPE_i=(1/2)mv^2 [/itex]?

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8
    Can you show some work? In your first post you said the voltages cancel out which isnt correct, this would only happen if [itex] V_b = v_a [/itex] which isnt true.

Show me where your messing up, all these techniques should give the same answer, if you prefer voltages we can use that.

10. Apr 12, 2005 #9
    Alright, I tried using EPEf-EPEi=(1/2)mv^2 where EPEf=(5x10^-6)((9*10^9)*(-5*10^-6)/0.4)) and EPEi=(5*10^-6)x((9x10^9)(-5x10^-6)/0.8)), but that gives 5.43m/s, which is not the correct answer.

11. Apr 12, 2005 #10

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that the potential energy state is [tex]U=k_{e}q_1q_2/r[/tex], you'll need to find [tex] \Delta U=k_eq_1q_2(1/r_{initial}~-1/r_{final})[/tex], this will equal the negative value of the change in kinetic energy [tex]=-mv^{2}_{final}-0[/tex]

12. Apr 12, 2005 #11
    Thanks! I was jumbling too many equations together at once but that made it much clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?