How to Calculate Electric Potential Energy in an Infinite Grid of Charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electrical potential energy in a one dimensional grid of infinite size with alternating anions and cations. The distance between the charges is given as 5*10^-10m and the formula for calculating energy with two charges is provided. However, the speaker is unsure how to calculate the energy for an infinite amount of charges and asks for guidance. Another speaker suggests that the overall energy may be zero due to the alternating charges, but the original speaker arrives at an equation which does not seem to make sense. Eventually, they figure out their mistake.
Icheb
Following exercise:
There is a one dimensional grid of infinite size and it consists of anions and cations (each with a charge of 1e / -1e) like this:

acacacac

The distance between the anions and cations is 5*10^-10m.
Now I am supposed to calculate the electrial potential energy of one cation alone. I know that, if I only have two charges, the energy would come from

[tex]W = 1/(4\pi \epsilon_0) * (q_1 * q_2)/r[/tex]

But I don't understand how to calculate the energy for a grid with an infinite amount of charges. Can someone point me in the right direction please? I'm not asking for a solution, just for a small hint which will guide me in the correct direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
not too sure, but if they are alternating then the electric potential energy of one of the "particles" on the left will be equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction to the one on the right, so summing the electric potential energies for all the particles, would give you zero overall... i think, that would be my logic anyway.

I don't think it's that easy, but thanks for the answer. :)

I have arrived at the following equation now:

[tex]\phi = k * \sum_{n=1}^{\inf} 1/n * (-1)^{n+1} * q/r[/tex]

However, this doesn't seem to make sense to me since -1^n+1 doesn't converge. Did I make an error in my calculations or am I missing something?

Never mind, figured it out. :)

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a form of potential energy that is stored in the interaction between electric charges.

How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy can be calculated using the equation U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the magnitude of the charge, and V is the electric potential.

What is the unit of electric potential energy?

The unit of electric potential energy is joules (J). This is the same unit as other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy.

What factors affect the electric potential energy of a system?

The electric potential energy of a system is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. It is also influenced by the presence of other charges or electric fields in the surrounding environment.

What is the relationship between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are related by the equation U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential. This shows that there is a direct relationship between the two, as an increase in one will result in a corresponding increase in the other.