Electric Potential Energy of protons

In summary, the separation of the two protons is 4.5x10^-15 meters when they momentarily come to a stop.
syjxpatty

Homework Statement

Two protons that are very far apart are hurled straight at each other, each with an initial kinetic energy of 0.16 MeV, where 1 mega electron volt is equal to 1x10^6 multiply (1.6x10^-19) joules. What is the separation of the protons from each other when they momentarily come to a stop?

Homework Equations

Ue = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])((q[tex]_{1}[/tex]q[tex]_{2}[/tex])/r)
E[tex]_{f}[/tex] = E[tex]_{i}[/tex] + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused on how to get this problem started, especially since they give the kinetic energy. I tried to manipulate the kinetic energy formula ((1/2)mv^2) but I am still really confused on how to approach this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
syjxpatty said:

Homework Statement

Two protons that are very far apart are hurled straight at each other, each with an initial kinetic energy of 0.16 MeV, where 1 mega electron volt is equal to 1x10^6 multiply (1.6x10^-19) joules. What is the separation of the protons from each other when they momentarily come to a stop?

Homework Equations

Ue = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])((q[tex]_{1}[/tex]q[tex]_{2}[/tex])/r)
E[tex]_{f}[/tex] = E[tex]_{i}[/tex] + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused on how to get this problem started, especially since they give the kinetic energy. I tried to manipulate the kinetic energy formula ((1/2)mv^2) but I am still really confused on how to approach this problem.

Conservation of energy

Total Kinetic energy at the beginning + potential energy at the beginning = total kinetic energy at the final position plus potential energy at the final position

The initial position is when they each have the kinetic energy you gave but they are very far from each other. The final position is when they are at the point of closest approach

Ohh alright so do I still do,

e = kq^2/r where r is distance between protons
k is 9*10^9
0.16 * 1*10^6*1.6*10^-19 = 9*10^9 * (1.6*10^-19)^2 / r
then I got r as (9x10^-15)

the thing is that I got it wrong when i did it this way.

syjxpatty said:
Ohh alright so do I still do,

e = kq^2/r where r is distance between protons
k is 9*10^9
0.16 * 1*10^6*1.6*10^-19 = 9*10^9 * (1.6*10^-19)^2 / r
then I got r as (9x10^-15)

the thing is that I got it wrong when i did it this way.

Each has an energy of 0.16 MeV so your initial total kinetic energy is twice what you wrote

ok! I got the separation as 4.5x10^-15 m ! Thank you!

syjxpatty said:
ok! I got the separation as 4.5x10^-15 m ! Thank you!

You are very welcome!:smile:

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle, such as a proton, possesses due to its location in an electric field. It is measured in joules (J) and is directly proportional to the amount of charge and the strength of the electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy of protons calculated?

The electric potential energy of a proton is calculated using the equation U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge of the proton, and V is the electric potential.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential energy of protons?

The unit of measurement for electric potential energy is joules (J). However, in some cases, the unit of electron volts (eV) may also be used.

4. How does the electric potential energy of protons affect their motion?

The electric potential energy of protons affects their motion by determining the direction and speed in which they will move in an electric field. Protons will move from areas of higher potential energy to lower potential energy, following the direction of the electric field.

5. What factors affect the electric potential energy of protons?

The electric potential energy of protons is affected by the amount of charge on the proton, the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the proton and the source of the electric field. As the charge and electric field increase, the potential energy also increases. However, as the distance between the proton and the source of the electric field increases, the potential energy decreases.