Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Energy

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    My book first introduces expressions for work and energy by referring to concepts from mechanics and gravitation. It uses the familiar expressions F =mg (-y direction) & U=mgy to explain the expressions it gives for electric potential energy. However... I understand that the force due to gravity in the first couple of expressions is always downward, hence the negative y-direction. But when it gives the expressions for force and potential energy of a point charge, Fy = -q0*E & U = q0*Ey, I don't understsand why they define it with only the y-component. Doesn't it depend on the direction of your electric field? I mean... electric field doesn't always have to be in the y-direction, right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2
    Ah, never mind. I think it had to do with the fact that the electric field was uniform, so there was only one direction for the force to be exerted. Sorry about that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?