1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential energy

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    A sphere of radius r contains a charge Q distributed uniformly throughout its volume. Charge dQ is brought in from infinity and deposited uniformly over the surface. The potential energy of the charge dQ is [tex]Q dQ/4\pi\epsilon0[/tex].

This follows naturally from the result for the potential of 2 point charges after noting
    (a) E due to Q is the same as a point charge and
    (b) smearing dQ around the sphere (i.e., tangential to the radial direction) doesn’t change the energy.

Why/how does "smearing dQ around the sphere (i.e., tangential to the radial direction) not change the energy"?

Thanks in advance for any help!

[N B : I am a first year physics undergraduate.]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2
    I am sorry for the poor latex code. The potential energy expression should read [tex]Q dQ/4\pi\epsilon_{0}[/tex]

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3
    Mistaken for the second time now. The potential energy expression should read [tex]Q dQ/4\pi\epsilon_{0}r[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook