Understanding Electric Potential Energy Calculations: Addressing Sign Confusion

In summary: When you calculate ∫F.dr, you are automatically taking into consideration the dot product while assigning the limits. It can be seen that, for example, WEF=F.Δr - Δr takes care of the sign, and the dot product simply serves to help provide a magnitude, and not a sign.
Jzhang27143
I am confused about the signs in calculating the potential energy change from the electrostatic force.

Suppose there was a point charge +q1 and I moved a second point charge +q2 from a distance of b from q1 to a distance of c from q1. c is smaller than b.

So the potential energy change is - ∫ F ⋅ ds where F is the electric force due to q1. F is radially outward and ds is dr radially inward (from b to c)$, so F⋅ds = - F dr. So - ∫ F⋅ds = ∫ F dr = ∫ Kq1q2 / r^2 dr from b to c so the integral is Kq1q2 (-1/c + 1/b) which is negative. But the potential energy should be positive when q2 is brought closer to q1. Where is the sign error?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jzhang27143 said:
So the potential energy change is - ∫ F ⋅ ds where F is the electric force due to q1. F is radially outward and ds is dr radially inward (from b to c)$, so F⋅ds = - F dr. So - ∫ F⋅ds = ∫ F dr = ∫ Kq1q2 / r^2 dr from b to c so the integral is Kq1q2 (-1/c + 1/b) which is negative.
just check the integration part and substitution of values -i think there is a catch there!

i'm not sure what the problem is with the integration. ∫ Kq1q2/r^2 dr from b to c is kq1 q2 ∫ dr/r^2 from b to c = kq1q2 (-1/r) from b to c = kq1q2(-1/c - (-1/b)) = kq1q2(-1/c + 1/b). Should i have done the integral from c to b? if so, why?

You forget the negative sign outside the integral.
Also, calculating from point b to c, or vice versa, would depend on the question you'll be solving.

Hope this helps,
Qwertywerty.

Jzhang27143 said:
Should i have done the integral from c to b? if so, why?

well such a switch will correctly give you sign of P.E. to be + ve. but what does it mean?
i.e. how the P.E. is termed +ve or negative -
what is the concept of sign of P.E. related with work done by the field
or by an external agent carrying the task of doing work?

well, I know that if an external agent is doing positive work, then the potential energy change is positive, and the potential energy change is negative if the external agent is doing negative work. In my example of moving q2 closer to q1, the work from the external agent should be positive and so should the potential energy change. However, I still don't understand why my calculations gave a negative change in potential energy.

Jzhang27143 said:
well, I know that if an external agent is doing positive work, then the potential energy change is positive, and the potential energy change is negative if the external agent is doing negative work. In my example of moving q2 closer to q1, the work from the external agent should be positive and so should the potential energy change. However, I still don't understand why my calculations gave a negative change in potential energy.
Maybe you'd care to read my reply?

Last edited:
Edited.

Qwertywerty said:
Edited.
Oh, I thought I took care of the negative outside the integral though.

Jzhang27143 said:
So the potential energy change is - ∫ F ⋅ ds where F is the electric force due to q1. F is radially outward and ds is dr radially inward (from b to c)$, so F⋅ds = - F dr. So - ∫ F⋅ds = ∫ F dr = ∫ Kq1q2 / r^2 dr from b to c

Jzhang27143 said:
Oh, I thought I took care of the negative outside the integral though.
'ds' represents displacement. So does 'dr'. Your assumption that F.ds = -F.dr, is wrong.

Qwertywerty said:
'ds' represents displacement. So does 'dr'. Your assumption that F.ds = -F.dr, is wrong.
Wait i thought the direction of ds was the direction of the path taken. Thats why I thought ds and the electric field pointed in opposite direction so the dot product was negative. If that's not the case, what determines the direction of ds?

What you basically want to do is, calculate the negative of the work done by the field existing between the two charges.

When you calculate ∫F.dr, you are automatically taking into consideration the dot product while assigning the limits. It can be seen that, for example, WEF=F.Δr - Δr takes care of the sign, and the dot product simply serves to help provide a magnitude, and not a sign.

Likes Jzhang27143
Jzhang27143 said:
Wait i thought the direction of ds was the direction of the path taken. Thats why I thought ds and the electric field pointed in opposite direction so the dot product was negative. If that's not the case, what determines the direction of ds?
'ds' does what you think it does. As in, ds represents the displacement in the direction you move. I have tried to clarify the dot product part in my previous reply.

Oh, that makes sense now. So setting the limits from a larger to smaller distance by itself establishes that the electric force is in the opposite direction of the displacement, meaning that the negative from the dot product is redundant.

Yes.

Jzhang27143 said:
Your force should be negative gradient of potential so change in potential = (-) F. dr dr is not an increment but opposite to r a decrement in r suppose you are coming from infinity to b you should get a positive potential at b similarly at c and the difference of the two should be positive!
try to guess/find the error!

What is Electric Potential Energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the amount of work needed to move a charged object from one point to another in an electric field.

How is Electric Potential Energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated by multiplying the charge of the object by the electric potential at that point in the field. The formula is U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

What is the unit of measurement for Electric Potential Energy?

The unit of measurement for electric potential energy is joules (J). This is the same unit used for other forms of energy such as kinetic energy and potential energy.

What factors affect Electric Potential Energy?

The factors that affect electric potential energy include the amount of charge, the distance between the charged objects, and the electric potential at the point where the charge is located.

How is Electric Potential Energy related to Electric Potential Difference?

Electric potential energy is directly related to electric potential difference. Electric potential difference is the change in electric potential between two points in an electric field, and it is equal to the change in electric potential energy per unit charge. In other words, the greater the electric potential difference, the more electric potential energy the charged object possesses.