Electric Potential Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electric potential at a point P located a distance z away from the center of a thin uniformly charged rod on the line that bisects the rod. The conversation includes equations and a solution attempt, with some suggestions for improvements such as correcting the expression for the unit vector and including the full length of the rod and necessary constants in the final expression for the net potential.
Screwdriver

Homework Statement

Determine an expression for the electric potential at a point P a distance z away from the center of a thin uniformly charged rod on the line that bisects the rod.

Homework Equations

[tex]V=k\frac{q}{r}\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've defined r to be the straight-line distance from any point, i, on the rod to P and y to be the vertical distance along the rod to i.

Determine the charge due to some point i:

[tex]V_i=k\frac{\Delta Q}{r}\hat{r}[/tex]

I determined that:

[tex]\hat{r}=cos(\theta )=\frac{z}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

So:

[tex]V_i=kz\frac{\Delta Q}{y^2+z^2}[/tex]

Then with linear charge density:

[tex]Q=\lambda y\Rightarrow \Delta Q=\lambda \Delta y[/tex]

[tex]V_i=kz\lambda \frac{\Delta y}{y^2+z^2}[/tex]

Then sum those up and take the limit as the sum approaches infinity and as delta y approaches zero:

[tex]V_{net}=kz\lambda \int_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}}\frac{d y}{y^2+z^2}=k\lambda arctan(\frac{y}{z})|_{\frac{-L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{net}=2k\lambda arctan(\frac{L}{2z})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, great question! Your solution looks mostly correct, but there are a few things that could be improved upon.

Firstly, your expression for the unit vector, r^, is not quite correct. It should be r^ = (z/sqrt(y^2 + z^2), 0, y/sqrt(y^2 + z^2)). This can be derived using basic trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem.

Also, when you are integrating to find the net potential, you should use the full length of the rod, L, instead of just half of it. This is because the charge on the entire rod contributes to the potential at point P, not just half of it.

Finally, when solving for the net potential, you should also include a factor of 2πε0 in your expression. This is a constant that is often left out in calculations, but it is important to include for accurate results.

With these adjustments, your final expression for the net potential should be:

V_net = 2πε0kλarctan(L/2z)

Overall, your approach and solution are correct, but just be sure to double check your calculations and include all necessary constants for a complete and accurate solution. Keep up the good work!

What is an electric potential expression?

An electric potential expression is a mathematical representation of the potential energy of a point in an electric field. It is used to calculate the electric potential at a given point in space.

How is an electric potential expression related to electric potential energy?

An electric potential expression is directly related to electric potential energy. It is the ratio of the electric potential energy to the charge at a given point in an electric field.

What is the SI unit for electric potential expression?

The SI unit for electric potential expression is the volt (V). It is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

What are the factors that affect an electric potential expression?

An electric potential expression is affected by the distance between charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium through which the charges are moving.

How is an electric potential expression used in practical applications?

An electric potential expression is used in a variety of practical applications, such as calculating the voltage in an electric circuit, determining the strength of an electric field, and predicting the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.