1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential help

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An empty capacitor is connected to a 11.7-V battery and charged up. The capacitor is then disconnected from the battery, and a slab of dielectric material (κ = 3.1) is inserted between the plates.
    Find the magnitude of the amount by which the potential difference across the plates changes.

2. Relevant equations
    I did the following steps but did not get the right answer. Is there another step to the problem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    q=CV, therefore C=q/V
    C is affected by the k... therefore C(dielectric)= k*C
    then the equation reads: q/V = k (q/11.7)... and the Q's cancel out.

The final equation I worked with is (1/V)=3.1 (1/11.7). The answer I got however is not correct. help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you are on the right track. Since Q is constant (no place for the charge to go), CV must be constant. Since C goes up by 3.1x, V must do the inverse. What answer exactly did you try?

4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    the answer i tried was 3.77... originally i had tried 36.27 which was wrong. But it turns out that both are wrong. What do you think?

5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, that's pretty much what I get for 11.7/3.1. And unless I'm missing something, that seems like the right way to get it -- even talks about using the dielectric insertion method for measuring k here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-k

How many sig figs does this homework program expect? Maybe they just want 3.8V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?