1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential homework

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric potential a distance r from a point charge q is 195 V, and the magnitude of the electric field is 2870 N/C. Find the values of q and r.

2. Relevant equations
    2780q=F
    Fr=W
    W/q=195

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using substitution I got r=.00679 meters, which is correct. I can't substitute to find q... I have no idea what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What are the equations for the electric field and electric potential at a distance r from a point charge q? Your text or class notes must have these two equations as they are quite fundamental. Hint: They both involve the constant from Coulomb's law.

4. Apr 15, 2016 #3
    Ik the equation F=(kQ1Q2)/(r^2) that's Coulomb's law. We never really did anything with fields or potentials... I found that electric field=F/q which I already have up there.
    I already have the electric field equation up there and the electric potential is U=(kQq)/r

5. Apr 15, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I suspect that your method for finding the distance r was actually flawed, and your correct result was a coincidence. I say this because one of your relevant equations, Fr = W, is not correct for this situation. If F is meant to be force and W the work done, then it doesn't hold if the force varies with the distance (F is not constant so W = F⋅d doesn't hold).

Your new equation, U=(kQq)/r, gives the electric potential energy (in Joules) for a system of two charges. That's the energy required to bring them from infinity to a separation distance of r. What you need is the electric potential (in Volts) for a point charge at distance r.

The equations that you're seeking are:

##E = k \frac{q}{r^2}~~~~~~~~~~## Electric field strength (N/C)

##V = k \frac{q}{r}~~~~~~~~~~~## Electric potential (Volts)

You should verify that these equations are given in your text book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted