How to Implement Piecewise Time-Varying Electrode Surface Potential in Comsol?

In summary, the user is seeking assistance in implementing a time-dependent potential for an electrode surface with two different potentials for two different time domains. The potential is described by a triangular function and the user is using a time-dependent study with the physics of transport of diluted species. The user is also asking for clarification on how to implement piecewise equations using boolean operators and the modulo operator for periodic functions.
Ma94
Can anyone know please know how can i impose the electrode surface potential to vary lineary and periodically with time as:
E(t)= phimin+v*t for 0<=t<t0
phimax-v*(t-t0) for t0<=t<2*t0
with t0=(phimax-phimin)/v
v=scan rate in V/s

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly do you have a problem with? Is it the fact that you have different potentials to impose for different time domains? Or do you have problems imposing even a simple time-dependent potential?

It would also help if you indicated what type of study you are doing (what physics and study type you have selected in COMSOL).

Thanks for your reply .As you said first i need to implant 2 différent potenials in the surface of an electrode for 2 different time domains .In fact the reference article that I'm using is a little bit difficult ,they said that the potential is a triangle time dependent so i will use time dependent study , for the physics i will use transport of diluted species and another one that i did'nt figure it out.

Ma94 said:
Thanks for your reply .As you said first i need to implant 2 différent potenials in the surface of an electrode for 2 different time domains .
Sorry, but this didn't answer my question. Would you know how to do it with only one time-dependent equation?

I am just trying to gauge the level of the difficulty. Otherwise, my answer might be rather unhelpful.

In any case, to implement piecewise equations, you need to use boolean operators. For instance, to implement
$$
\left\{
\begin{array}{cl}
1 & x < 0 \\
x^2 + 1 & x \ge 0
\end{array}
\right.
$$
you would write
Code:
1 * (x < 0) + (x^2+1) * (x >= 0)
Doing it for periodic functions can be implement using the modulo operator in the boolean expression.

1. What is electric potential in Comsol?

Electric potential in Comsol refers to the scalar quantity that represents the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another within an electric field. It is measured in volts and is used to understand the behavior of electric fields and the movement of charged particles.

2. How is electric potential calculated in Comsol?

Electric potential in Comsol is calculated using the equation V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done in moving a charge q, and q is the amount of charge. Comsol also provides tools and solvers to numerically solve for electric potential in complex systems.

3. What factors affect electric potential in Comsol simulations?

The electric potential in Comsol simulations is affected by a variety of factors, including the magnitude and distribution of charges, the geometry of the system, and the material properties of the objects in the electric field. Changing these parameters can significantly alter the electric potential and can be used to study the behavior of electric fields in different scenarios.

4. Can electric potential be visualized in Comsol?

Yes, electric potential can be visualized in Comsol using various tools such as contour plots, line plots, and vector plots. These visualizations help to better understand the behavior and distribution of electric potential in a system and can aid in analyzing the results of simulations.

5. Is it possible to perform time-dependent electric potential simulations in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol allows for the simulation of time-dependent electric potential, where the electric field and potential can change over time. This is useful for studying dynamic systems and can provide insights into how electric potential and fields change over time in response to varying conditions.