Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential in cylindrical coordinates using separation of variables

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Hi, I am new to the forum. I've encountered a couple problems with separation of variables in cylindrical coordinates.

Problem #1: a clindrical surface of radius R is oriented along the z-axis, and is split into two
    conducting half-cylinders. The potential satisfies the boundary conditions
    V(R,phi) = V0 , for 0<phi<pi; V(R,phi) = -V0, for pi<phi<2*pi. Find the potential
    inside and outside the cylinder and the capacitance per unit length.

For this problem, I know the general solution is independent of z, namely V(r,phi) and it contains sin(n*phi), cos(n*phi) and r^n terms. But how to find the coefficients using the boundary condition confuses me. Is it necessary to assume V->0 as r -> infinity? Please
    help!

Problem #2: an empty can haas the shape of a sector of a cylinder. The volume of the can
    is defined by the cylindrical coordinates: 0<= r <= R, 0<= phi <= pi/2, -inf<z<inf
    Basically one quarter of a cylinder in the first quadrant with boundary conditions
    (i) V= 0 when phi = 0; (ii) V = 0 when phi = pi/2; (iii) V= V0 when r = R. Find the
    potential everywhere inside the can.

For this problem, I know it's similar to the first problem except the boundary conditions.
    maybe even simpler because of the zero potential. but I still have no idea how to approach this problem. Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted